Customer reviews

on 30 March 2017
Haven't seen these in years and was worth every moment, my advise is watch the deleted episode the picture quality is great on Bluray and that episode does explain a couple of things. So, want some nostalgia? take a trip down memory lane, also the very last episode I don't remember seeing on tv, it may have been on and I missed it and if you did, it's worth buying just for the last episode.
This was a hit of nostalgic fun for my wife and me. Not the best of the Perry and Croft collaborations - we prefer Dad's Army, and You Rang M' Lord - it's nonetheless got enough charm to be worth seeing, and perhaps even having. For me the upstairs downstairs formula of You Rang, M' Lord has weathered the march of time better than the 'old empire' thing here has.

Donald Hewlett and Michael Knowles are pretty dependable, and make good 'officer class' types, and Windsor Davies' sergeant major is a great character. Some of the other characters are less charming: Bates as Rangi Ram might present 'issues' for some modern viewers*, whilst Don Estelle, who arguably has a fine singing voice (albeit not at all to my tastes), and Melvyn Hayes seem rather too much like regional panto players to me. And then there are the rather dull ones, like 'Solly' and 'Parky' (less so 'La-de-dah'), and a few others I can't even bring to mind now, so cipher-like are they.

The basic idea for It Ain't Half Hot, Mum, is, like all the Perry and Croft series, a sound one, drawing heavily upon their own personal experiences. And following the misadventures of an army entertainment outfit, as the sun sets on the Empire, is a great scenario. But faking the heat of the tropics under leaden British skies, with all your actors in a permanent baby oil sweat, well... it's kind of hard to believe in.

Certainly there are some laughs to be had here. But there are a few groans also. And rather too much that is just that touch too pedestrian. I'm torn between giving this a rather generous four stars, or a slightly harsher three. In the end I've gone for four, not just because it has its moments, but also because it documents interesting aspects, albeit rather bizarrely, of a fascinating moment in the decline of the once 'Great' British empire.

* Neither I nor my Anglo-Indo-Caribbean wife are bothered by what some contemporary PC critics have condemned as this instance of comedic 'blackface'. In fact, on a related theme, my wife's favourite Peter Sellers comedy is The Party, in which he plays the wonderful Hrundi V. Bakshi.
on 17 March 2017
We had a blast after receiving this collection.
We had a "It Half Hot Mum" night which ended up being a weekend that was full of laughs and reminiscing.
This comedy takes me back to my childhood and even after, cough cough a few years now, I still find this series so funny. Politically correct? nah,, but funny never the less.
on 4 April 2016
Not viewed yet but I know my husband and I will enjoy it. We are old enough to have seen it first time around. Why oh why do we not get entertainment like this anymore. Not particularly about the war but just good situation comedies without unnecessary swearing.
on 13 November 2016
Brought back memories, shame it will never be aired again, due to the Nanny State and PC interferes. Constantly great witty lines and great Performances
on 30 May 2017
I forgot how funny this is.Windsor Davis is a comic genius,& you can see some of the actors trying their best not to laugh in a lot of the scenes.It hasnt dated at all, because it was about a period of the past when it was made.A true classic that should be on any comedy fans shelf.
on 1 May 2017
I could wax lyrical, drone on about halcyon childhood television.

So I won't.

It is not PC, it is funny and i love it.
on 1 November 2016
Ahhh nostalgia at its best
on 13 February 2017
cant believe this series plays second fiddle to dads army. this is superb humour from a bygone age
on 18 June 2017
Fabulous! I love everything about this sit com. I didn't watch it much when it was on tv, although I do remember liking Loftys voice. Now I have watched this set, I really appreciate both the humour and the amazing voice of Don Estelle. So sad he didn't get the recognition he so richly deserved. R.I.P.