Format: DVD|Change

on 14 December 2000
A very underrated film! The story has our main protagonist developing a genius IQ overnight and discovering that his lifelong friends grow to fear and distrust him as his IQ rapidly increases. As a sub issue, he also develops weak telekinetic abilities. Refreshingly, this ability is employed in such a way that it remains subservient to, and supports, the main thrust of the film, which is not about a man with telekinetic powers, but rather about a man who is struggling through the changes going on both within himself and around him.
It has humour, depth, and feeling. Wonderful performances all round from JT, RD, FW... I found the film immensely enjoyable and I have to say it's one of my favourites.
on 17 October 2000
This is a film which intrigues from the start. Its got a great story with great characters and has a great feel too it.
John Travolta is excellent as ever, with admirable support from Robert Duval.
If you like John Travolta you'll like this film. If you don't you will still like this film.
It's a film which allows you to escape and enjoy another part of the world and another unexplained part of the world.
Enjoy
on 17 January 2005
I'm not often driven to review movies -but I have to say here that this is one of my all time favourites (and I am very hard to please). The movie is, in my opinion, such a success because it relies on the power of understatement.
Some of the heart-rending scenes are such because they are so simply done! The story line sounded a little dodgy to me at first but you are quickly drawn into what becomes an emotional rollercoaster. It's the first movie I have seen in a long time that required a FULL BOX OF TISSUES!
Watch it and weep....you have been warned!
on 4 March 2016
When a strange light in the sky turns an ordinary man into a genius with telekinesis his friends and new lover begin to fear him despite his efforts to help them.
Full of romance, humour and emotion this film has a special place in my heart. I watched this as a child and watched again with my children and they loved it as much as I did.
on 30 August 2003
An absolutely wonderful film. John Travolta is, once again, fantastic. Very refreshing to see a film with no violence or sex but with a very heartwarming story. Lovely.
on 29 May 2014
john Travolta plays a mechanic ,on the night of leaving his birthday party he see a bright white light,from then on he cant sleep,comes up with brilliant theories,reads and speaks languages within 30 minutes and slowly the town and his friends get scared of him as he desperately tries to find an answer to why him and so hard to get the girl who took his heart ,this is a really good film with a sad ending ,well worth the money and time to watch ,I fully recommend this
This is in no doubt for me one of the best John Travolta films that I have ever seen the acting from the whole cast is brilliant but it is exceptional from John Travolta I remember watching this in the cinema in 1995-1996. Until I watched this film I thought of Mr Travolta as a okay actor but since this film he has got better and better in this film he playes George Malley a mechanic in a small sleepy town he then falls in love with lace pen naming (Kyra Sedgwick ) a new arrival in town on Georges 37 th birthday he is knocked unconscious by a strange light. He then finds he has a better mental abilities and telekinetic powers this whole film will pull at the heart strings especially the last 20 mins it's a powerful Film and I would happily recommend it.
on 14 June 2014
This film I think was under estimated when it first came out. John Travolta really does play a good character and it shows he does have some acting skills other than dancing. I am not a massive fan of John but this film is really worth watching as the subject is a little different and its not a normal love story, even my boyfriend liked it.
on 17 April 2012
A Truly wonderful film with a fantastic story and fantastic Cast. John Travolta.Robert duvall,Forest Whittaker and Kyra Sedgwick are perfectly cast in a film that is both full of emotion, Drama and gentle humour. This film is a must see and is a wondorously delightful Tearjerker
I'd heard of this film for some time but never felt interested enough to watch it. Then it was scheduled for TV and so, without many expectations, I started to watch it - expecting any minute to switch it off. But it was amazing - a truly warm enthralling story acted with perfection by all it's lead actors. Travolta is especially superb.

Previous reviewers have outlined the story so it's clear that if you expect high-blown sci-fi dripping with special effects, you'll be disappointed. A floating pencil, a blue light and a cracked mirror won't cut it for you - but if you want a fantastic story about a man struggling to understand himself and everyone else around him as seemingly inexplicable changes alter his life and the lives of everyone he knows, then I guarantee that you'll love this film.

And as for the final explanation and resolution - absolutely spot on, especially the final long panning shot that brings the film to an end.

Highly recommended.