on 3 November 2016
Ok - I know that none of the hacking scenes in the film are really even close to being realistic, and that the characters all tend to run toward stereotypical cliche, but...I still love this film. I can't help myself. It's fun, silly and surprisingly character driven, and I think that's what makes me like it so much. The chemistry between the characters/actors (Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller got married not long after this film!) tends to smooth over the script issues, and being a 'Nintendo generation' IT geek myself it resonates with a time in my life when I was listening to the same music and being dazzled by the incredible potential and opportunities that the, then still relatively nascent, internet and associated technologies kept presenting. Yes, it's cheesy and yes, it's probably even a little (or even a lot!) silly - none of that however makes me love this film any less. In short I can still watch it right through, take a stretch, and promptly watch it all over again. I can't be objective about this - it's a review based on my own personal feelings. I know many will disagree and I perfectly understand, heck I KNOW what's wrong with it myself - but there will also be another, albeit smaller, group of people who also 'get it' in that undefinable personal way that defies both reason and sense, and that's where this film lives for me.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 December 2017
A classic!!! Probably wouldn’t do well if released today, but great to go back and watch these old movies.
Unrealistic user interfaces used in the film (for those computer buffs), but it does play a big part and makes the movie easy to follow.
You can see why these young actors (at the time) went on to become big stars.
Even if this is not your from your generation, I would recommend giving it a go. You won’t see movies like this anymore!
on 15 October 2009
When I think back to the mid 90s, I remember what fun we all had when Windows 95 replaced Windows 3.1. All the hours of fun with plug and play that wasn't, USB that wasn't very universal and the social faux pas that was seeing your clothing clashing horribly with your monitor each time you were presented with the latest blue screen of death. Strangely Hackers, despite being made around this time and being about computers, doesn't seem to focus very heavily on any of these facts. (Then again if it had it would've been a much longer, slower and more boring film, as everyone sat around chatting while waiting for five minutes in each scene for their computers to boot up.) I think I did notice an Apple logo at some point, but I can only assume that everyone involved in the action was using a super duper version of Linux or something. There is actually a lot in this film that isn't very realistic and the main characters are generally way too cool and good looking to be computer geeks. Actually I've just realised that it's probably entirely pointless trying to make any real world sense of this film at all, a little like trying to explain the sense behind all Jason Statham's running about in Crank. Much better to sit back, enjoy the nonsense, the slight cyberpunk imagery and watch the good guys beat the bad guys. Watch, enjoy the action and silliness and be glad there's always a group of heroes out there ready to risk everything to save the day. A word of warning though; don't watch Hackers with anyone who actually knows anything about computers. He or she will spoil it for you!
5 people found this helpful
on 21 June 2013
If you loved it the first time around (when you was a youff), you'll love it for the nostalgia alone. (I loved it for Jonny Lee Miller as well, and it's sparked a bit of a JLM film spree!) I doubt it would have the same appeal if you came to it afresh. It is dated, due to the graphics, technology and young cast, but the music is spot on. It's a feel-good movie that probably has more in common with the brat-pack movies of the 80s than the gritty "Trainspotting" and "Lock, Stock..." films of the late 90s. It can almost find it's own way to the DVD player I've watched it so many times.
on 29 February 2016
I bought this for research I am doing. It is still surprisingly good. There are some rather dated montages but the cast are all excellent, the direction is slick and well, it is enjoyable, and of course a bargain at the price.
on 17 February 2006
Their only crime was curiosity
Probably THE best film from the 90s. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched this since I got the DVD (if I don't watch it every couple of weeks there's something seriously wrong <grin>. A great cast - Jonny Lee Miller(who plays Dade perfectly), the unique 'Cereal Killer' (Matthew Lillard) and Angelina Jolie(to name but a few)
Made in 1995, this is a classic with some seriously great one-liners. It's a seriously under-rated film which has a teen feel-good factor, and you don't even have to be a geek to approciate it (though it helps ;-) )
5 people found this helpful
on 26 October 2015
Missed this first time around and purchased it purely on the strength of Johnny lee Millers screen presence.A subject as relevant now as it was then.
on 23 May 2018
no problems what so ever thank you
on 28 June 2017
Worth the watch good value for money
on 22 April 2017
Brilliant film and great music.