on 14 August 2011
Movies/Dramas made from books are always tricky, because they are almost always never quite up to the book standard, which is realistic since movies can't fit in every detail.

But that's the good thing about BBC. They've remained faithful to Austen's original book, and the movie follows the book to the letter. Ciaran Hinds makes an excellent Captain Wentworth, though I think the main female lead could've been better. Supporting cast is also very good, and all suited to their characters. Mary's character is especially well done.

It's a well made adaptation, and enjoyable to watch again and again.
on 28 February 2013
Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds are brilliant in this version of Persuasion, I don't need to tell you the story it's on the description, but I had this film and watched it time and time again...when I feel down or just need time out from everyone I go in my room and watch this... I went to put it on one day and the box was there the DVD was not, I have searched high and low to no avail...so hence I bought this one to replace it, because I love it that much... The genteel character of yesteryear and the attitudes to marriage love etc are all here.. If you like adventure, suspense, and fast moving stories this one is not for you, but if you like romantic period dramas, with hidden longing, and unrequited love, you'll love it....
on 26 August 2017
Love this adaptation itself. But, the film quality on the DVD is very poor, and the 'bonus features' are just little written character bios.
Hopefully some day they will remaster the film, and maybe even add making-of footage.
on 27 June 2017
Wonderful adaptation of my favourite Austen, in fact one of my all time favourite books. The letter he writes her... Swoon!
on 18 October 2017
The title character is very put upon by family and friends but gets her own back in the end over her snooty relatives by marrying the man of her dreams.
on 30 September 2015
First rate story and good quality disc. Superb acting. Highly recommended. The best version I have seen and as close as DVD get their books. The only quibble I have is with the motivation of the cousin and the portrayal of the father. Jane Austen's choices here appear to be better.
on 8 September 2014
Great on lots of levels acting was superb by the whole cast.

Amanda Root brought Anne to life, restrained, modest, principled, she is every women with regrets. Ciaran Hinds is sexy, feeling and gallant.

It is a treasure and my favourite Jane Austen adaptation.
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2018
I watched this because of ciaran hinds, but it's not one of his best
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is the best adaptation of this book I have seen. The others are somehow lacking in comparison. The two leads are perfectly cast and the performances of many of the supporting actors are equally good.
on 30 September 2010
I really just want to even things out.

The recent ITV version of Persuasion was awful. It was so bad I felt that I had to say so in an Amazon review. So set things straight here are my 5 stars for the BBC 1990's version.

I came accross this by mistake one day. I didn't know the story and found myself completely enthralled. I watched it just the other day and found myself close to tears by the end. It's just so nice to see a heroine who is quite and restrained but also articulate and strong. I can only hope to be half a good as this Anne Elliott and can only ever wish that things work out for the best for her.

Would recommend for Sunday afternoon viewing when it's cold outside and warm inside.