Customer reviews

Urga [VHS]
Format: VHS Tape|Change

on 19 October 2004
I saw Urga in 1997 and it changed my life. I have now the video and nearly every year I look at it again. This film was the reason I left to live in that region for 2 years. The character of Mongolian and Russian life is expressed in a brilliant way. The music is beyond words and the movie puts life in perspective, that may sound easy but it is not of course. Listen for example to Na sobkach Mandjurie from Vladimir Gostukhin and the moon from Artemiev it will tell you more than I can. Even better, see the movie and it will change your life. Compliments Michailkov, you are an artist with miracilous qualities.
on 25 April 2001
I have seen this movie many many times. It would be preferable to see it on the big screen (check out the opening sequence of a truck trundling across the endless Mongolian endlessness to understand why) but the story is funny and subtle enough to have converted a few of my friends on the small screen. An understated exploration of traditional and modern societies colliding and communicating.
on 19 August 2001
one of the debates about 'outsiders' (us) versus the indigenous people is that we often envy their simple lives compared to our own. we see deep philosophical meaning in their escape from our prisons which come in the form of televisioin and technological sophistication. we want to get back to our grass roots. this film is a flip turn of that. it is the invasion of western ideas on an otherwise isolated and 'poison-free' world. the introduction of television. it has been proven that when tvs have been introduced to places that didnt have them before, amongst other things crime rate and violence have increased dramatically. this film is a study of what the affect of viewing the globe through a tube has on a world that was so far from that before. it is a moving picture, original and thought provoking. enjoy.
on 4 September 2000
Expressive faces, poignant music, astonishing nature views. Realistic movie picturing the real life of a nomadic family in Inner Mongolia. This classic will incite you to explore the steppe and inhale its beauty.
on 30 January 2001
From its opening scene of man on horseback, pursuing a woman across the grassy steppes, our preconceptions are constantly turned back on us. Wickedly funny and deeply humane, the film vividly demonstrates the clash of modern Russian and the traditional Mongolian cultures - beautifully acted out against a backdrop of some of the world's most breathtaking scenery. Not to be missed.
on 9 April 2010
This is an absolute masterpiece by Nikita Mikhalkov with great Mongolian/Chinese and Russian actors and a profound idea. Some hint for Lev Gumilyov's ethnogenesis view (criticised as an alternation of history) makes it rebellious. What else - beautiful, sincere people living in harmony with their environment. I could watch this again and again.