Customer reviews

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£3.99+ £2.80 shipping

on 19 March 2013
Just not as good as many other s .Feels slow and a bit over done. sorry I wasted my money
on 31 July 2012
It's a decent enough adapatation of the book, but watching it felt more like watching a play. The acting was rather formal and most scenes were shot inside a studio. The script follows the book quite closely for the most part (although the character of the youngest Dashwood sister was omitted altogether), but I thought this version lacked the freshness and sparkle which I enjoyed in the more recent version with David Morrissey as Brandon which I also bought, and in the film with Emma Thomson and Alan Rickman which I watched on T.V.
on 19 November 2015
Very good costumes and scenery make this a good version of the book
on 5 November 2015
A first class production of a lovely Jane Austin story.
on 25 July 2016
Best choice of actors. Good movie.
on 27 July 2014
OK - But think I have been spoilt by more resent work
on 9 March 2013
I bought this film to fill in all the ridiculous cuts made for showing on American television. This version is the one I always come back to as truest to Jane Austen's book (even without the third sister). The actors are superb, the film and sound have been refined into a quite wonderful experience.
The sellers price is affordable, packaging excellent, and delivery timely.
Several friends and family members had/have this product from the same seller with great satisfaction.
on 26 October 2014
Good product.
on 7 May 2014
I found the differences between Marianne and Elinor more pronounced here than in the later BBC adaptation. Great cast, especially Irene Richard as Elinor (5 stars!) and Peter Woodward as the smooth and untrustyworthy Mr Willoughby.
on 18 May 2003
I was interested in seeing this version of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility as the reviews were so good. Having seen the 'american drama' version and liking it a lot, I was curious to see the differences.
Maybe it is the fact that I am of a generation that is used to the more modern, sexy interpretation of Jane Austen ...but I found the whole thing almost depressing. I felt the characters weren't believable, stuffy, old and dare I say it...ugly. There was a lot of overacting and the dialogue didn't seem natural.
Especially Marianne, one of my favourite characters, was so over dramatic it made me dislike and laugh at her.
I love all of Jane Austen's books because of the liveliness, the comedy and interesting characters, but I felt that this series completely lacked that spirit. It was dull and dreary. I know it was filmed in the early 1980's and back then tv drama's were made in a different way...but there is a reason why things have changed and here is the proof. It has been said that the reason why Jane Austen remains one of the most read novelists is that her stories are in a way timeless and every generation can relate to them. As this series was made over 20 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then, I think that this is why I didn't like it as much as the more modern version.