on 29 December 2011
I was a bit perplexed when I opened this package as all the wording was in German.
As the disc was a present I was reluctant to open it but a call to Amazon put my mind at rest that this would not stop me from returning it if the dialogue was in German. It wasn't. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it's marvellous music. We then followed up by watching another film of the Cole Poter story, It's D'Lovely, starring Kevin Kline and it was so interesting seeing the different takes on Cole Porter's life. It's made me want to research him some more.
on 21 July 2009
Bought this DVD from Amazon recently. What can I say Brilliant! Yes I know
it is very old fashioned in content and in cinematic terms. But nobody can deny the quality of the songwriting. It is a Dutch import but is in English so no problems and will happily play on Region 2 machines. Not on TV much so if wanted get it here and I do not think you will be dissapointed.
HALL OF FAMEon 2 October 2007
Night and Day is probably the worst of the reverential "biographies" of America's great theater composers which Hollywood cranked out in the Forties. Rodgers & Hart, George Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Sigmund Romberg, the list goes on, were all smoothed out, glossed over, given awful dialogue and had to see their songs so over-produced at times it must have seemed that they were hearing the heavenly choir.

Night and Day gives us a number of Cole Porter songs polished and massaged with the lush sound stage treatment. The movie also gives the songs pretentious orchestrations so foreign to Porter's style, plus bowdlerized and rewritten lyrics to insure little of Porter's naughtiness would survive to possibly offend middle America.

Most surrealistically, we have Cary Grant as Cole Porter...and that is the kind of casting that makes the Hollywood studio system so wonderful to read about. In addition to being one of the great theater composers, Porter was short, enthusiastically gay, a bit pop-eyed and a terrible social snob. On the other hand, he was supposed to have had a great sense of humor, and reportedly was highly amused when Cary Grant was chosen to portray him. (Another odd bit of Hollywood casting was choosing Mickey Rooney to play Lorenz Hart in Words and Music.)

One or two good biographies have been written about Porter. As a film biography, though, Night and Day is largely a work of hack Hollywood fiction. But don't we at least get a bunch of his songs? Sadly, the songs have been so over-produced, treated so respectfully and have been so sanitized, that watching the numbers often is just downright irritating.

Porter, such a social snob and living the kind of high-maintenance life some might consider simply frivolous, is worth knowing because of his songs...and his songs are best enjoyed when they are performed with impudence and style. It's smart to remember that when he wrote...
Hums the April breeze.
Echo the hills.
The golden dawn agrees
As once more she sees
Daffodils.
It's spring again
And birds on the wing again
Start to sing again
The old melody.
I love you,
That's the song of songs
And it all belongs
To you and me.
...he wrote it to win a bet that he couldn't write a hit love song using mundane images. Porter won the bet and thoroughly enjoyed seeing what he consider a mediocre string of cliches become widely popular. If you enjoy detective work as well as Cole Porter songs, track down the CD's produced by Ben Bagley, the Cole Porter Revisited series of albums. I think Porter might have enjoyed them. And there is also this essential book, The Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter
on 30 March 2014
wonderful film and the music never ages. Guess they couldn't really show Cole Porter in his true character given the time the film was released. It gave the impression he was passionately in love with his wife. Although it was a well known fact in real life he was gay or maybe bi sexual? loved this film and keep humming the tunes......
on 13 February 2013
The songs are as fine as ever and I enjoyed the apopearance of Monty Woolley - a real-life close friend of Cole Porter. However, the film is a typical "gloss-over" bio - in common with the kind that Hollywood made in other days.
The later film "De-Lovely" - with the excellent Kevin Kline as the composer - is closer to the mark when it comes to the reality. But having said all that, the film is handsomely mounted and at its price is value for a view into the
past when big money was spent on big names and their stories. No wonder Porter himself chose Cary Grant to
play him!
on 2 June 2011
I am a big Cary Grant fan and this movie did not disappoint. The acting was wonderful and the music was instantly recognisable - even sang/hummed along at times. A great addition to my collection!
on 12 February 2016
If you like Cole Porter, you'll like the movie. But don't imagine for a minute that Cole Porter resembles Cary Grant. To make a fictional biopic with established stars can produce many pitfalls (MGM's Mickey Rooney is a case in question). For a better view of Cole Porter I would recommend "Anything Goes".
on 11 September 2014
Excellent film. As with most biopics the truth is maybe stretched a little to make the story more interesting. The music is fantastic and Grant as usual plays the part so well. If you like musical biopics as I do you will certainly like this film. As this film, to my knowledge has not been released in this country on DVD (I had a video copy previously) I had to purchase this film from Amazon.com USA which is region 1 coded so will probably not playback on DVD players which are not multi regional.
on 31 January 2015
I have not watched Life of PI yet but Night and Day was excellent as I anticipated. This is music at its best and Ginny Simms singing was sublime. What a star, she is my all time favourite singer. Sadly these bygone days are now gone but never to be forgotten. I received the used DVD in excellent condition, thanks.
on 17 November 2014
Arrived the next day after ordering and was amazed at such an early delivery.

Film purchased for sentimental reasons and the music/song content. Storyline was, as expected, pure Hollywood hokum and not a true representation of the real Cole Porter. However, good value for money.

P.S. Your Title should be "Grant" not "Crant"