on 26 April 2011
One of the great unsung films of Martin Scorsese's career. Surreal, funny and edgy, it captures the spirit of bohemian New York before zero-tollerance policies 'cleaned up the streets' for better and worse.

Delivery was quick and problem-free.
on 29 September 2015
Black humour and whimsical but unsettling portrayal of late night in the big city. Humour not as strong as I remembered but an interesting and well made alternative movie.
on 22 February 2001
I'm so happy to be able to buy it from Amazon!!! I saw this film ages ago and I've been looking for it everywhere since. There's not much to say, although I do agree that if you don't like Scosese, or these surrealistic films where the ambiance is more important than the plot, then you might find yourself slightly clueless at the end.
on 19 February 2013
I was 21 in 1985 when this movie came out and I vividly remember the impact it had on me. It is a movie about gentrification and the Yuppies (Young Urban Professionals) who moved into working-class areas. My generation loved to sneer at these urban pioneers - many of them gay - who had the foresight to see the potential of cheap city-centre areas and lofts. At the same time as I was doing my right-on Thatcher-hating stance a big part of me loved the idea of these trendy, arty, 24-hour enclaves where anything goes. Yes, anything goes but I sense the spectre of HIV / AIDS informing the script. '85 was the year Rock Hudson died of AIDS and the romance between Marcy and Paul is overshadowed by the hidden horror of some awful disfigurement from burns. For burns read AIDS. Look at those rat traps in a circle round Julie's bed. She finds a piece of papier-mache on Paul with a tiny newspaper article about a mob who beat someone featureless in the neighbourhood last night. Later, Gail starts a witch-hunt against Paul.
So, After Hours captured some of the zeigeist or spirit of that age. For the young me it was a confirmation of my love of urbanism and a revelation on the themes of alienation, anxiety, hysteria, obsession and neurosis.
on 9 April 2015
What's not to love about this yuppy nightmare comedy ? (And the brilliantly selected doo-wop soundtrack is worth the entry fee alone.)
on 12 January 2014
of this great movie i had seen many times yet still entertains me. IMO a movie that has not lost to the ages.
on 13 June 2015
This is an underrated Scorsese that is so bizarrely funny with an astounding performance by Griffin Dunne.
on 27 June 2005
So glad to see that many others have enjoyed this dark, surreal Scorcese masterpiece. Every turn our hero takes leads him to yet another dilemma.A truly fun and fantastic film from start to finish with all round superb performances from a fine cast.
on 4 June 2011
After Taxi Driver this is Scorseses best film. Even though it's a dark comedy it's laugh out loud and could be put on your shelf next to any comedy classic rather than another Scorcese crime film. A must see. Griffin Dunne is fantastic, I wish he was in more.
on 24 November 2014