TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 August 2008
This is a gutsy raw selection of Italian folk music. For some reason I haven't much Italian music in my collection- I'm au fait with French, Spanish, Scandinavian, and Balkan bands, but the odd Italian touring group has never stirred my soul. Although there are moments on this album where I can hear echoes of my more cherished groups- Blowzabella, Malicorne- and a general edge of Breton bands- I don't feel inspired to track down the full albums by the artistes. The tracks are growing on me the more I play them, but they lack an edge- maybe that's just in the nature of copyright selection (less successful bands will be more eager to be included) and the individual collator's tastes. I've just found you can get a short sample on worldmusic dot net's site of each roughguide album, so you can try before you buy there at least.
5 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 20 March 2013
Heavy on regional folk music; this is not what made Italian music so famous: hardly any belcanto and modern pop.
on 14 May 2010
Whoever got this collection of Italian traditional music together must have had a great time. From the north to the south of Italy the tracks are sometimes lilting and upbeat - others are haunting. The infulences are Celtic, Greek, medieval, French, Arab and African. The musical instruments used are violins,accordians,bagpipes, Indian tablas and African percussion instrumens as well as guitars and saxaphones. Some artists such as Mauro Palmas have given a more modern but sympathetic interpretation of local music. Other performers such as Tenores di Bitti have stayed with the traditional presentation. Even if you are not a fan of 'World Music' I would recommend this cd if you like something different. Close your eyes and be transported.
One person found this helpful
on 12 November 2003
Not a Neapolitan love song in sight! This album takes the armchair aural traveller around the various regions and islands of contemporary Italy and illustrates the tour with folksy, ethnic, committed music. Recommended.
6 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2009
This cd probably could be played time after time as accompanying background music to an italian themed party, otherwise I found it loud and difficult to listen to, hence the three star rating. Possibly a bit dated now? but again I reiterate its use as low background music is probably its main appeal. No classical track either? Hope this helps.
2 people found this helpful