on 22 August 2013
Hahaha! This was my very first introduction to the world of Mark Twain and what a wonderful and marvellous introduction it is!
The book is a beautiful rendering of a very mischievous, precocious and clever little boy who, like a little boys, have a great love for adventure, fun and mischief. The things he gets up to, the way he thinks things through and the way he acts on his thoughts is absolutely hilarious and so very endearing at times.
In this day and age where children are now swamped with the latest electronic gadget (iPhone, iPad, xBox, Wii, etc), they have really forgotten what it is like to experience the simple joys of life where even a chipped marble or an apple core is considered big currency. In this book, children run about, invent games and plots, mimic their heroes and villains in acts of make-believe and get up to the most incredible scrapes and emerge stronger and smarter for it. Modern children are missing out!
Anyway, Mark Twain writes this book in an easy, affable and eminently readable way so please don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a classic ( and 'hence the writing must be heavy and old'). It is a great, easy and fun read, and one which I love going back to again and again, even if it just to vicariously live out my childhood days in that innocent, sweet and naive way again.
on 17 October 2014
Ashamed to say that I had reached my 60s before actually reading the whole of Huckleberry Finn (after having read Tom Sawyer, also for the first time, and you do need to have read that first). I hadn't realised how good a story-teller Mark Twain was, and if you haven't already done so I would thoroughly recommend them to you. OK, the world is rightly more politically correct now and you have to remember the culture that Twain was writing into, but even this is something of an eye-opener on the white-black divide in Mississippi at the time, but with a good deal of humour mixed in. The story requires you to suspend reality checks to some extent; for example, Huck is totally uneducated and in his early teens, but seems to have an excellent grasp of the geography along the river; perhaps he had just hitched rides on the riverboats and kept his ears open. Unlike 'Tom Sawyer', this book is written in first-person and with phonetic spelling; you just have to read with a Deep South accent!

The loss of one star is for the Kindle version, which had an irritatingly large number of words joined together - e.g. 'I tellyouifI catchyoumeddlingwithhimagain' - which you become surprisingly quick at decoding but was a bit wearing.

If you've not read it - now's your chance.
on 12 September 2017
I had never read any of these stories previously but it soon becomes apparent why they are included in the classic novels. Soon got used to the dialect by reading it in context. An excellent and uplifting account of people thrown together in dire circumstances and the human spirit which carried them along. Perhaps not for the current PC generation but a great snapshot of history.
on 4 April 2017
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn Series Book 1) Kindle Edition

Where are the illustrations? Each section begins with a list of illustrations, but none are to be seen. There are large breaks in the text where, I imagine, the pictures should be, but they seemed to have been erased.

Also, I find navigation rather cumbersome. Each section ends with a line of tabs offering the reader the chance to jump to the next part, the previous part or the main index. Which ever I press takes me back to Location 1 - the beginning! Finding my last location is proving very hit and miss; even with added bookmarks. When I do find my place, the page layout is different; ie a chapter heading may now be half way down a page, rather than at the top.

As for the story, it feels a little disjointed. Reading other reviews, I wonder if this is an abridged version.
on 5 December 2016
I bought this as a Christmas present for my mum and I was appalled. The picture in the photo is beyond misleading, when it arrived it was blown up on the front page making it pixelated and blurry. Inside was just as bad. The original book has been photo copied and scanned onto the pages like a scrap book. This badly put together copy is embarrassing and I wouldn't give it to anyone as a present let alone my disappointed mum on Christmas. Shameful.
on 19 November 2017
Every child should read this as an example of fine writing and entertainment,I first read this when I was 7 years old and revisited 52 years later to be thoroughly immersed in the tale.The language used should be taken in context and the historical aspect judged on how times change although even as recently as my own childhood a lot of the words were in common use.
on 11 June 2015
I really don't understand why anyone should write a retold version of Mark Twain!
(Ordered this book by mistake; I found the original one and there was 'hardcover' button on the page, so I decided it would be better to have the hardcover version and it switched me to the retold one).
Not going to bother reading, will buy the original one (read the original Mark Twain's book in e-format together with my 8-years old daughter and the language is perfect, not seeing any reason for retelling).
on 7 December 2013
Sometimes illustrated Kindle versions don't translate to the format well, but this edition is very good in every way. Clear and easy to read, and enjoyable to look at (even in black and white).

From the point of view of the story, I found it a drier read than, say, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Characters were more caricatures than well-drawn, but Twain still managed to point out the dichotomy of rich and poor in a way that makes me glad I live in the modern era.

I've been reading Tale of Two Cities at the same time, and am afraid that Twain can't hold a candle to Dickens in terms of characters and social commentary (at least, not in Prince and the Pauper), but that doesn't mean I would leave him off my list of authors who (whom?) should be read.
on 1 June 2017
It's great to catch up with classics on Kindle - especially when they are free!

I enjoyed re-reading this but found the phonetic spelling (to indicate accents) wearing. In the end, I gave up and skimmed through a lot of the denser dialogue. I guess Mark Twain was writing for an audience who read aloud and wanted a novel to take its time.
on 22 May 2017
A masterpiece that any budding writer would do well to study. The story of a young, imaginative, and exuberant boy overflowing with mischief, energy, and charisma moves deftly from hysterically funny to poignant and moving in the build-up to the main event in which a child's flights of fancy unfolds into a thrilling, spine-tingling, life or death adventure. Children and adults alike will love this forever.