Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 December 2009
For a more complete discussion of the choices available for this work see my review of the Gardiner ( DG Archiv) version.Bach: Mass in B minor This version is superb and is one of the all time best versions together with the Jochum (EMI) version. The recorded sound is clearer and more modern than the Jochum version, although the Jochum perfomance has slightly better soloists, the choruses of both this recording and the Jochum are splendid. The orchestral sound and interpretations of both are exceptional musically and emotionally. This is a modern instrument performance by a conductor who uses his knowledge of HIP techniques to advantage on the modern instruments playing here. Jochum's is a traditional modern instrument version. I consider this recording together with the Jochum version the definitive renditions, both are BENCHMARK reference recordings. The new Benchmark Reference Standard recording of this work in my opinion is the new Bruggen version on Glossa. Bach: Mass in B minor (Cappella Amsterdam; Orchestra of the 18th Century / Frans Brüggen) See also Renè Jacobs limited edition performance on Berlin Classics.Bach: Mass in B minorMass in B Minor (Jacobs) [Limited Edition]
on 1 March 2014
There are so many interpretations of this work to choose from. I am not a connoisseur so I was guided by other reviews. I am so happy that I finally chose this one. It has everything for me.
on 7 July 2016
An old favourite. I remember singing this as a baritone in the chorus in St Paul's Cathedral. The latter does not have the world's best acoustics.
I am glad that the "Sanctus" is given as a separate track.
on 19 January 2015
How can we play Bach with modern instrument and with a rethoric so outdated after Leonardt ,Herreweghe,Jakobs ?