Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 May 2012
I am not suficiently well qualified to know whether this is technically well performed or not, although in my layman's opinion it seemed so. The piece is beautiful, and therefore short of making a complete muck-up of the performance the outcome is bound to be good. With regard to how you perceive the feeling or soul of it, and whether it is merely academic or has heart put in it (as per the earlier 2 star review, I wonder if it may be partially to do with how you listen to it, and what mood you are in. I think you would need to hear a comparison to know truly if this is the case, which I have not done. It seems to me a very enjoyable performance of a beautiful piece, and I have no issues at all with it. The notes with it are indeed a bit on the feeble side, but that's probably not what you buy it for anyway. For most people I think this will prove to be a very satisfactory purchase of an oustanding piece. As a bonus you get the second CD with various Psalms.
on 30 April 2017
This remains my favourite recording of Vespers. Intonation, voicing, balance, presence, ensemble, a top quality EMI production on location in Tooting, why it's out on budget label I don't know. (Signed DTW, industry professional)
on 16 March 2017
Brilliant
on 26 June 2008
I bought this double CD many years ago and it remains one of my firm favourites. I find the first track exhilarating and joyous, a fitting and wonderful introduction to the vespers.I think this is a beautiful and uplifting performance by the Taverner Consort, choir and players and would highly recommend it - whether you are a fan of sacred music or not!
on 22 October 2010
This recording of thevespers is "authentic" in style, and does its best to rcreate the atomoshpere and osund of 8 choirs singing from various parts of the building. It reminds me of a Proms performance many years ago in Westminster Cathedral where the 8 choirs were spaced around the buiding at varying heights as well. highly recommended.

WILLIAM
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2010
To add to those who refute "A Customer's" misguided and inane comments: this recording of a problematic work remains the best to date - not only only technically superb, with probably the best team ever assembled, but also a heartstopping display of expression and musical drama. A couple of reviews have made unfavourable comparisons with Eliot Gardiner's live Venice recording, borrowing from each other the sneering phrase 'seventh day authenticists' in an attempt to denigrate Parrott's recording. This is meaningless and asinine: there's no accounting for tastes but even a cursory knowledge of the music and its context would demonstrate the greater validity of Parrott's production. Gardiner's performance may be louder, but that's all it is. If you want to hear what Monteverdi's music actually says, this is the place to be. Yes, it's a pity we can't have the exhaustive booklet that came with the original issue but damn it, for eight quid I've got a performance that never fails to thrill me, plus the bonus of several motets from the late Selva Morale e Sprituale collection. I think I've got a bargain and more.
on 7 August 2011
This is a fascinating recording of great music. It speaks to us thorugh all these years, very much thanks to Parrott and his singers and musicians. There is a great vitality and intensity in this recording. It's a perfect start for anyone that wants to figure out what's the big deal with Monteverdi. Find yourself moved back 400 years.
on 12 June 2009
This recording brings Monteverdi alive, so I disagree with the 'customer' review below too. The harmonies ring out and it has a simple beauty and a deeply contemplative melancholy that Monteverdi surely must have intended. 'Heaven hear my words...'
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2010
The Vespers never fail to inspire and this recording, although a little dated in both recording and performance practice, is still worth hearing. Great value Monteverdi and an uncontroversial performance.
on 5 March 2015
Not a recent performance but one that stands the test of time. The DVD sound is quite good and the singing is excellent. A good sense of occasion is achieved. Good value for money, and a package that arrived quickly and as advertised.