Customer reviews

Gospel Favourites
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 January 2008
I was looking for gospel records when I saw this in Amazon, and bought it after some hesitation. I'm not a rock'n roll or Elvis fan, so all my Elvis' memories are of a depressive fat guy dressed in fancy clothes and slave to several drug cocktails. I didn't know about his fervient gospel work and recordings, which in fact got him several Emmys.

My doubts were proved stupid, because this is a very good gospel record, and a very good example of Elvis' work.

His voice is mellow, deep, and above all, understanding and feeling of the songs and themes he sings. You can hear in them a man of faith, even if (or perhaps because of that) life took him far from the small, familial chapels he sings about. Some of the themes are classical gospel songs, some are arrangements of other themes, and all of them are adapted by Elvis to his own style and liking. The only negative comment on this record is about the one song I don't like, the most melodious, recitative "I believe".

The CD comes with a booklet describing Elvis' gospel background, his involvement in recordings and revivals and, all in all, makes this a very good piece of gospel music, which also will make you listen to good King's songs. Cheap, too.

Buy it, listen to it, give it as a present.
on 26 June 2017
Just what my wife wanted
on 10 June 2017
It was just what I wanted
on 29 October 2017
Very nice music. I also can recommend to listen to another records of Elvis. It is worth of it.
on 12 November 2017
Very good
on 29 July 2017
Love it
on 28 April 2012
My favorite compilation gospel Elvis C.D.

Beautifully recorded with the his backing groups at the time who were also very gospel inspired, having a great feel for these classic numbers that still stand today as a sincere form of worship to our lord.

All the numbers were recorded between 1957 to 1971.

You can tell the way Elvis sings these gospel songs that he was a man of great faith whose spirituality was very important to him.

Twenty selected tracks opening with "Take My Hand Precious Lord" a very powerful interpretation. He covers "Amazing Grace" which is just so moving.

There is an informal recording of "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus/Nearer My God To Thee, which is incredibly moving.

I love the fast paced "Working On The Building" that's joyous to listen to.

It goes on one great gospel song after another.

This C.D. will move you, inspire you, and make you happy.

Thank you Elvis.
on 7 January 2007
On this impressive collection of gospel songs Elvis is variously backed by the Jordanaires, Sweet Inspirations, Imperials and the Stamps Quartet. Chronologically the material ranges from songs recorded from 1957 to the early 1970s. They are mostly gospel classics but there are also later compositions like Put Your Hand In The Hand which was a pop hit in 1971.

Several styles are represented, from the slow and solemn hymns like Take My Hand Precious Lord, He Touched Me and I Believe to rhythmic uptempo tracks like Joshua Fit The Battle, By And By and Working On The Building with its lovely backing vocals. My personal favorites include the opening track Take My Hand, this version of Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, In The Garden and Where Could I Go But To The Lord.

I was a bit surprized to learn that Swing Down Sweet Chariot is an uptempo rock song, not the well-known Swing Low Sweet Chariot. The music is inspiring and soulful, revealing the devotional side of the magnificent king of rock and roll. The booklet contains an informative history of Elvis' gospel recordings by Brian Nevill and four photographs: full color one of the Jordanaires and Millie Kirkham, a black and white one of the Imperials plus the front and back pics of Elvis.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2007
Gospel music was Elvis' first love and at the time of his discovery by the late Sam Phillips he was seriously considering joining the Songfellows, a gospel quartet, instead of signing to Sun Records. Throughout his career Elvis always used full gospel groups rather than backing singers, on stage and in the studio. At the same time that he was recording All Shook Up in January 1957, he was also recording songs for a gospel EP, Peace In The Valley, all of which were included on Elvis' Christmas Album later that year, and also appear here.

This collection also draws from three gospel albums that Elvis released: His Hand In Mine (1960), How Great Thou Art (1966) and He Touched Me (1971) and a couple of stray tracks including his hit single Crying In The Chapel, plus a medley of two songs he recorded and filmed at the Elvis On Tour sessions but which remained in the can until 1994.

Although a great rock singer, unlike his contemporaries, Elvis had the range to sing with an unmatched purity and sincerity on both devotional gospels and secular ballads and wasn't afraid to match his voice with the best gospel singers in the business, as this set ably demonstrates
on 18 February 2012
Elvis has re-entered my life after absolute years and years of not wanting to know.However sadly having recently lost my dear wife.This particular album sings to me in the only way that Elvis can with utterly pouring out his heart leaving a good,lasting warm spiritual feeling.
I play it over and over again in my car without a single regret.In other words if opinion is worthy it comes highly recommended.Gospel Favourites