Customer reviews

Twelve Months, Eleven Days
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2013
I am a massive Take That album, and particularly a Gary Barlow fan - I've had his Open Road album for years, and absolutely adore it - its a firm favourite in the car, along with every single one of my Take That albums! But for some reason I'd never bought this CD, I'm not even sure I knew much about it, then I went to his solo concert and there was this beautiful song called 'Lie To Me'. It was hauntingly beautiful and I needed to hear the full version, consequently I found it was from this album. The album was amazing value here on Amazon so it was a quick purchase and with the Auto-rip facility I could immediately listen to it, and as soon as I played the album, it was on repeat, again, again and again. Then the CD arrived and it was on in the car, again, again and again. My favourite is still 'Lie To Me' with 'Yesterday's Girl' and close second. When this album came out he released Stronger, but I often think if he'd released Lie to Me (which was the original plan, I think) things might have turned out quite different! The music is subtle, the song-writing gentle, it's certainly not a ground-breaking album, but it is incredibly easy-listening and a joy to my ears.
on 29 July 2017
I love this album from the first listening......Gary Barlow is a very talented man and he writes songs I like to listen to. The whole album is good but special recognition has to go to two amazing tracks. The first one "Lie to me" which he sang on his 2014 solo tour and the second one, Yesterday's Girl.

If you are a Take That/Gary Barlow fan then you will love this album
on 14 March 2013
I bought this album for a friend.She asked me to post her review.

"Twelve Months Eleven Days" is one of the most underrated albums ever. When you listen to it casually, for the first time, you'll instantly fall in love with some songs and you'll think that others are there just to lift up the mood. But, if you play all of them several times, you'll start to understand that there are more layers to this album than you initially thought. It's the story of a journey that all of us experience at some point in our lives. The whole album is about progression and cohesion. There's an underlying theme that gives unity and pervades each line - the theme of a soul that goes through the ups and downs of love and tries to find itself; the unifying thread is the theme of an identity quest:"What is love, what is life, who I am?" (All That I've Given Away).
What makes this album so great it's not only the fact that each song, considered in its individuality, is a successful mixture of music and lyrics (actually, the lyrics are one of the main attractions of this album - I love the symmetries, the contrasts, the metaphors), but the fact that it's very well conceived as a whole. Each song leads organically to the next - we could talk about a dialogue between the songs-; each of them describes a moment in a love story with no happy end and, for someone who pays close attention to the structure of each song and of the album, they'll identify recurrent motives (eg. the " home" motive). It's like the audio version of a romantic movie.
In my opinion, 12Months 11Days is much better than Open Road (which has some great songs as well - those written by Gary himself!). This album breathes maturity and, if I had to use one keyword to capture its essence, it would be VISION, something that the media back then and Gary's detractors seem to have missed.
The vocals can't be faulted. Whoever heard Gary sing live knows that he always delivers and that he's an exceptional singer. I actually prefer the live version of Lie to Me, that he did in 1999, to the studio recorded one.
Overall, a 5 stars album that any person who doesn't have prejudices towards Gary Barlow should buy.
on 7 February 2018
Excellent Songs From Gary Barlow,
on 3 May 2014
Definitely is in need of more worthy recognition A album that offers a 'mix bag' ranging from slow ballards to more upbeat tracks. Every track is beautifully written and musically arranged. Never got why the album didn't sell!!! Oh I know why, all down to bad press!! A great album to have in your music collection :-)
on 30 August 2016
Bought as a Christmas present for family member not my cup of tea though
on 8 December 2016
good easy listening cd some nice tunes
on 5 June 2014
Even if you're not a member of the #gbarmy, this album is a must buy - very much of it's day, but with some cracking little tunes including "Nothing Seems the Same", "Arms around Me" and "Yesterday's Girl", this album never deserved the press it got at the time. As someone who likes all sorts of real music, Gary has crafted these songs and honed the lyrics beautifully - one of my most prized albums in my CD collection.
on 28 July 2013
The item arrived on time and in very good condition as it was put through my letterbox instead of leaving with others and left outside which I always like. lots of good songs on this album.
on 5 October 2016