Customer reviews

The Very Best Of Play Bach
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 October 2013
The lady giving this CD only 2 Stars needs to invest in a new stereo system for her kitchen. I play this on a CD Player and use headphones, but have also played it without headphones - and the quality of this particular BMG/CMG Camden recording is fantastic. You will only know just how fantastic it is if you have quality equipment, but even on inexpensive equipment this CD will sound very, very good. I have most of Loussier's recordings - but this one is the best, as far as sound quality is concerned. Maybe Decca can compete with this one? Anyway, if you like Bach simplified to some degree by not using a full orchestra, then you will like this rendition. For those of you interested in musicianship I can honestly say that the bass player and percussionist do not come any better than this pairing. I will not say that there are no finer pianists than Jacques Loussier - there are - but it's Mr Loussier's arrangements that are important here. So, as a trio - these three musicians play extremely well together and if ever you get to see them playing on your TV via a DVD for example - you will actually see with your own eyes just how good these musicians are and how well they integrate with one another. I actually use this disc when auditioning expensive hi-fi equipment and can honestly say, that if the music does not sound awesome then you are listening to poor equipment - or, there's something wrong with your ears. The selection of music on this CD is quite varied - there's something for everyone, even Jazz afficionados. It might be listed under the classical heading but there's more to this rendition than simply classical. Enjoy. p.s. Denon make good hi-fi equipment if you're on a limited budget.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 August 2011
Having heard him in concert and owning other CDs, I was tempted by this and succumbed. I'm glad I did.

Bach's original music, rich in contrapuntal inventiveness, his inner personal drive to display his musical achievements and his successful striving to become the leading virtuoso and improviser of the day on the organ provided Loussier with a rich heritage.

I particulary enjoy the pieces which start with the measured control of Bach and develop through Loussier's "joie de vivre" into the fast-moving, stunning keyboard improvisational virtuosity of Loussier, e.g. "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" and "Little Fugue in G minor".

Loussier made Bach his own. Recommeneded.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2018
As I remember them in the sixties.
on 13 February 2018
Good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 8 November 2017
Accomplished but a bit frantic
on 17 July 2017
Brilliant , I still have the Brandenberg original record from 60's (this being the only "classical" disc I have ever owned) yet I seem to know many of the tracks.
Couldnt believe the low price and rapid delivery..
on 9 March 2016
As an original lover of Jacques Loussier music from the 1960's, I was very pleased to be able to find this superbly produced cd. My old lp's gave up long ago through over play..... now I'm re-enjoying Play Bach.
on 27 April 2017
What can you say, Jacques at his best.
on 26 October 2016
Excellent quality new product thank you
on 9 January 2017