Customer reviews

Dope
on 16 December 2015
Brilliant
on 25 August 2007
As a lover of Tribe for many years now I was really psyched that Q-Tip came out with a solo LP..

It starts brilliantly with track 2 Higher

A nice beat and the chorus, the percussion is amazing and great production..
The singles off the album are great party songs with Breathe N Stop + Vivrant Thing but my highlights are the last 3 tracks, one of which is with Busta rhymes called NT, great beat and the chorus from busta is sick!
After that you have a track with KoRn called 'End Of Time' which is my favourate apart from the hidden track (shown on amazon as track 13) a great track just like a biography and message behind his lyrics which i find inspiring..

Over all i find this album great and would stand up as a classic if it held the quality of those 5 tracks but over all it is a satisfying buy and i would highly recommend to anyone who is remotly into hip-hop or even if you're not im sure there is something you would like, try - Lets Ride if you want a preview listen..

My Fave Songs To Try

12. End Of Time - Q-Tip & Korn

11. NT - Q-Tip & Busta Rhymes

2. Higher

5. Let's Ride

If you dont know the singles, they are also funky.
on 18 December 2002
A Tribe Called Quest are still considered legends and it is enivitable after their split that any solo projects had a lot to live up to. There is no denying that Amplified is slightly disappointing for Tribe fans, and to me it seems as if the album was rushed a bit, probabally as Jay Dee was used to produce all but two of the songs on the album, therefore meaning they had to work quickly to meet a record company deadline for the album release.
On Amplified you can appreciate that Q-Tip is trying to show a diversity in his music and trying out new ideas that sometimes seem to work well, but at other times frustratingly seem to lack the flow and musical quality that we are used to from him. 'End Of Time' brings in the band Korn to add a dark guitar sound, but the result leaves you wishing it had never been recorded! The production on 'Go Hard' and 'Moving With U' is second class and it just sounds disappointing.
However this album still recevies four stars due to the brilliant singles 'Vivrant Thing' and 'Breathe & Stop', and the two funky piano led 'Wait Up' and 'NT (Featuring Busta Rhymes)', which both sound very original. The rest of the songs, including the hidden track 'Do it, Be it, See it' are good and make this worth buying after purchasing all the Tribe albums!
on 29 February 2000
I see the two other reviewers of this album, seem a little dissatisfied with the album's sound. Rubbish! This is an extremely original sounding album - it's not 'phat', it's not some annoying staccato rhythm Puffy Daddy pants; in fact, what it is is hard to put one's finger on. This is its joy. One gets a lot of really nice ascending, aeroplane noises, tunes which produced by another would be hardcore, but instead are rough jazz. I don't care what the others say this album is GOOD! Not brilliant, not classic, but it's worth listening to just to hear how one of the Tribe exists outside the confines of his old crew. Rock on!
on 14 August 2001
When I bought this I was afraid that it may be too much of a straight forward rap record, like outkast and so many others around at the moment. I thought I was getting a good, rated album, but I got an amazing, cool as funk album. Some of it is like hip-pop, but it is pulled off really well. I have no problems placing this album next to my J5, Pharcyde and People Under the Stairs.
on 19 May 2000
Anyone who thought Q-Tip might not deliver the goods when going solo has been proved seriously wrong. If you liked the flava of the two awesome singles Breathe & Stop and Vivrant Thing you will love this album. A Tribe Called Quest were hip hop legends, their first three albums all regarded as classics by fans and critics alike, but Tips solo album is of such high standard that Phife and Shaheed are hardly missed. Tips change in style (aiming for the R&B crossover market) provides a different side to his abstract persona. Sex is the main subject but this album can be played in the car, or at a party as well as the bedroom. Tip delivers tight lyrics over rugged, stripped down beats. Apart from the two singles highlights include Movin With U, Lets Ride, All In and the Spanish flavoured Do It. Yet its hard to spot a filler, all tracks come recommended. All good - well worth a listen. Breathe, stop, listen and get vivrant.
on 12 August 2001
The first time I put this CD on, I wasn't too impressed with it, but that's only because I was listening to the music alone and in-depth. This was a mistake. I then gave it another try while I was playing on my Playstation, and it sounded ten-fold better. It's definately a CD you want playing underneath general conversationwhen you have a few people round, or whilst your doing something that requires your attention, because the jazzy beats and rythmic lyrics seem to slip into the back of your mind easier, and any production slip-ups are made unoticeable.
on 1 January 2009
Create me a dead mans island... Q Tip will be there, guiding me through life. Chukling on my shoulder, just being him.
Guys i'm 37 years old, this man can bring me to tears by just opening his mouth. I live Hip Hop and this man helps me complete that quest.
on 19 February 2000
This cd is not as bad as some folks maintain.I have found that it's not unusual to have one or two favorites on any cd and the rest can vary from ok to "oh no",i was in the us when vivrant thing broke and boy was that big,but in my opinion there are a couple of better tracks on the cd,breathe and stop and things u do.if you like q tip's style you'll like this.i for one do