on 5 February 2002
If you're looking for big stage sets, pyrotechnics, theatrical backdrops, costume changes, dancing girls or zippy light shows, this concert probably ain't for you. On the other hand, if you're after good music performed superbly by expert musicians before a highly-appreciative audience, then here it is.
Tom & co simply don't care about the visual aspect of their concerts. They seem to take the view that you're here because you love the music. Fair play to them.
It's always worth remembering that Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, either collectively or individually, are responsible for some of the most memorable music to emerge over the last 3 decades. Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, Bob Dylan, Sheryl Crow and dozens of others have recruited their help. Well, here they all are, lined up behind the ever-charismatic Tom Petty, delivering some of their finest tunes from the last ten years or so.
And that's the best thing - they don't get bogged down playing the old standards that we've all heard a dozen times before. Instead, we hear several tracks from the about-to-be-released Echo album (which underwhelmed the critics, it must be said), reworked acoustic versions of several gems (including a superb version of 'Walls' - much better than the original), and highlights from Wildflowers & Full Moon Fever.
On the down side, the last four or five songs are heads-down rockers, somewhat brainlessly so, and don't represent my favourites by any means. It might have been nice to hear a few tracks from 'Into the Great Wide Open' instead.
A few complaints about the DVD itself - the synchronisation between sound and picture tends to slip out of step periodically, which is probably the most frustrating fault a DVD can have, though it invariably catches up with itself presently. Camera-work is curiously haphazard and jerky (presumably on purpose), and short clips of meaningless backstage activities punctuate throughout, between the songs. Hmmm. For these reasons I've awarded 3 stars instead of 4 it deserved.
Nevertheless, a must have for any Tom Petty devotee. The soundtrack should have been released as a live album too, in my opinion.
on 23 July 2006
This is Tom doing what he does best, playing good, honest rock n roll. The concert has a good mix of old and new tracks and shows how tight the band are and Mike Campbells great guitar work. If you're looking for a Tom Petty Live album and are unsure what one to go for, I'd say this is a good place to start. Love the music, love the band, loved the DVD.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 30 August 2007
Filmed in 1999 at the San Francisco Fillmore, this opens to an audio and visual montage of urban America over a music bed of `California', then cuts to a mirrored ball, whereupon the lights go up and the high grass dogs stroll onto the stage and blast into `Jammin' Me'. Director Martyn Atkins has used multiple cameras from a variety of angles to catch the band, interspersed with shots of impressed looking girls, which editor Martin Bullen has cut into a seamless whole using a quality sound mix throughout. Between songs they have added backstage and street shots of anonymous roadies, interjecting odd sound bites, wheeling crates up ramps and so on, all of which breaks the flow of a good gig, but fortunately these are only short. The idea (sort of) comes together when the film closes with the gear being loaded up, but this music really doesn't need adorning. The laconic stoner / polite Southern Gent fronting proceedings appears in good humour, on top form and to be clearly enjoying himself as he works his way through an assortment of acoustics, Teles and Flying V's to present a well judged selection from his impressive catalogue. There are a couple of `new' songs from `Echo' just before that decent album came out. `Mary Jane' particularly is a show stopper, after which Bo Diddley embellishes the primal strains of `Mona', this is followed a more acoustic section including a bluegrassy `Lay Down My Guitar', a great `Even The Losers' to which Petty charmingly and repeatedly fluffs the opening lines - `act like you don't know anything's going on', he drawls. After which the band - including Mick Cambell, Benmont Tench and the sorely missed Howie Epstein, abetted by Scott Thurston and Steve Ferrone - rock their way out.

Complete track listing: California, Jammin' Me, Running Down a Dream, Swinging, Breakdown, Listen To Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, Mary Jane's Last Dance, Mona, Lay Down My Guitar, Even The Losers, Walls, Angel Dream, Room At The Top, County Farm, You Wreck Me, I Don't Wanna Fight, Free Fallin', Free Girl Now.

With a running time of just over 90 minutes this may be seen by some as just another Corporate American Rock Band DVD, but I suspect Gentle Reader that you will know different. Tom's problem has always been he makes it look all so easy. Nobody else does that jingle jangle with such skill, power, commitment and consistency.
on 27 March 2001
I was at the first night of Tom Petty`s run at the Shepherds Bush Empire, a stop on the tour during which this set was filmed, and when I saw this video on the market I couldn`t hesitate to add it to my collection. Tom Petty is one of the few remaining true stars of rock n` roll. There will be others no doubt, but for the moment they can all take lessons from the master. His live performances through the years have seen him accompanied by such greats as Guns n` Roses, Bob Dylan, Bo Diddley (as featured here), Roger McGuinn and a plethora of others. The ability to take songs from a recording studio to the stage and adapt them accordingly is one often lacking, but Petty`s unique talent to do so is seen here in all its glory. His love of extending songs instrumentally, demonstrating even further the extent of his talent as a musician, alongside the sheer beauty of all of his music, makes this one video that you really cannot fault. Perhaps even more satisfying than the collective majesty of the music is the fact that it`s clearly a deep love affair with performing that keeps Petty going. The sparkle in his eye throughout, especially when Bo Diddley takes the stage, is a real pleasure to see. On all notes, utterly brilliant.
on 25 November 2012
Quality concert from a quality band. If you like Tom & the heartbreakers, you'll love this. Good price as well.
on 3 April 2013
I love this concert. I saw it on Sky T.V and wanted to buy but sadly this is not available in the UK. The staff at Rarewaves were fantastic though
on 21 April 2015
Love Tom Petty you'll love this
on 12 January 2012
I had to return this Item as it was marked up wrong on Amazon, it was region 1 and not 2 as stated, I was looking forward to this but I cannot find it for English region.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2011
I have some unfinished business here.

My wife and I are great fans of Tom Petty and were very keen to get this DVD. The Amazon description seemed to indicate that it would be playable in Europe ( you have to be careful with some DVD's imported from USA) Unfortunately when the DVD was received it was unplayable. I have a fairly modern Panasonic DVD recorder/player which does allow for some NTSC discs in conjunction with my Panasonic TV but in this instance we were defeated.

I noted that the DVD was region 1 which meaned that I was unable to play it - certainly not what was advertised on the Amazon website. To make matters worse I have had a subsequent delay with the Amazon reseller who provide the product, Moviemars. I sent the DVD back to the UK address that was shown on the packaging as the return address only to then be told by Moviemars that I should have returned it to them !!! There is now a delay while they await the DVD back from their UK address, quite why they can't just refund me I don't know. I may well end up going through the Amazon 90 day refund procedure.

So to summarise, I have not been happy with the product description ( don't know whether this is the fault of Amazon or Moviemars) and have still not been able to see and review this Tom Petty Concert !!!

To be fair after many years and transactions with Amazon this is really the first time I have had such a problem.
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse