Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.50+ £1.26 shipping

on 22 August 2010
This is a beautifully packaged re-release of Magma,s seminal work from 1973, for first time listeners it could be described as a full blown Carl Orffian epic opera, it,s probably now difficult to describe the shock of hearing this all those years ago! In fact I,ve rarely heard anything quite like this ever since! Parts of this record still give me goosepimples when I listen to it, and I remain baffled to this day how leader Christian Vander ever wrote it in the first place! There have been remarks about lack of remastering on this issue, all I can say to those ingrates is blame it on their then manager Giorgio Gomelsky! It was he who knackered the sound at the mastering stage without the group knowing. Suffice to say they were not impressed one bit! Furthermore the original master tapes disappeared (along with those of the follow up "Kontarkosz" album) All in all this is an indispensible release and an absolute monument in 20th century music indeed and if you,re a fan of the Ting Tings then this is probably not for you!!
on 9 June 2005
OK, this is kind of two reviews in one because this album is NOT the version of M.D.K. (Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh) that was originally released on vinyl back in 1974.
MDK was recorded partly at Aquarium studios in Paris and partly at the Manor studio in England. Mekanik Kommandoh on the other hand is taken from the Aquarium only.
MDK is an absolute classic, worth 5 stars no question. Anyone coming to it from later albums may find it a little hard to follow at first but stick with it. Better still, get the first two albums (Magma (AKA Kobaia) & 1001 Centigrade). There is a steady progression and development there which will lead ultimately to MDK (which truly is a "Rock Opera")
Not speaking French has made it difficult for me to find out much about Mekanik Kommandoh. Recorded at the same time as MDK, it sounds very similar but at the same time different. As it features a different line-up my guess is that with the band undergoing changes Vander wasn't entirely happy with this version and started over.
So basically what you get here is a very polished "demo" version of MDK which for Magma fans would be worth getting but for anyone else my advice is to find a copy of MDK.
on 22 May 2009
I bought the vinyl back in the seventies - and saw them live in Edinburgh. They are unique - and I've never understood the comparison with Gong - whole different ball game musically. I've come across some weird versions of MDK on CD but this is the original album - have no doubts - the genuine article. Sure - a re-mastered vesrion would have been nice but this still gets my attention 100% - just as it did way back then. My one and only complaint (hence the 4 stars rather than 5) - now as then - is that the album doesn't do justice to Vander's drumming skills - we only get glimpses of the power that he (and Jannick Top on bass)brought to the live show. Believe me - they were giants!
on 4 July 2005
5 stars to the original M.D.K. actually, apparently unavailable through Am. UK but well worth hunting down. Indeed, one of the true classics of 70's progressive music and as far removed from rock as possible while at the same time still only classifiable as rock, if you get my meaning. And if you're not particularly fond of the singing (the biggest drawback for a lot of people), do yourself a favour and check out the cd version with an extra 8th track (on Seventh records). This bonus track is no less than the complete MDK (yes, all 34' of it!) in a different, mostly instrumental version and it COOKS! For me it completely blows away the original version (which I like, mind you). Just listen to that brass sound during the first few minutes; sounds like dying elephants if you ask me, utterly weird and what a groove, so timeless it's hard to imagine this was recorded 30 years ago. Truly from another world and whatever you think of that (in)famous Kobaian language, you have to admit it produced some really cool titles. Get everything apart from the late 70's stuff and you'll be glad you did, because these Frenchies
were (and are!) something else. Fantastique!
on 24 April 2010
For more detailed reviews of this album, do look at the reviews on Amazon.com. Currently 21 out of 24 reviews give it 5 stars. And justified in my opinion.

You're going to love or hate this one. For me, an album of visceral power and originality but not lacking subtlety and artistry. It'll grab you by the scruff of the neck. Give it a go.
on 27 April 2009
This is not a remastered edition, as one might expect, but the same version which was released years ago, only this time in misleading digi-pack disguise. This concerns "Kobaia", "1001 Centigrades", "Kohntarkosz" and "Wurdah Itah" also. I bought them all and now I may throw them away as well. It has never occured to me they might be the same old hissing versions I already have. Beware then! If you own any of the previous editions, avoid this humbug!
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2015
Great rest of family hate it -bonus
on 1 December 2000
There are at least five, 5-star reviews of this album on amazon.com. The consensus seems to be that MDK is Magma's best album ever (one reviewer calling it the best album of any kind ever).
Seeing those, and having loved Magma's _Attahk, I couldn't wait to get MDK. Then there was trouble with the distributors which delayed its arrival. So, much anticipation when it finally came.
Compared to _Attahk_, my only other Magma reference, MDK is repetitious and shrill. They pick a two-measure opera/rock groove and stick to it for five minutes, then switch to another for five minutes, etc. Like a sacrifice to minimalism. The shrill overwrought vocals that showed up occasionally on _Attahk_ seeming so silly, over-the-top and fun are turned into something crushingly, excruciatingly serious here. Every once in a while there's a hint that something cool is going to happen, but it never quite does. And yes, in parts this sounds like the Carmina Burana, only as if on an LP full of skips, and somebody's lazy about pushing it past them.
I guess you could say I was disappointed. And I'm incredulous at those other reviews. Magma's best?? No way.
But see my own fawning review of _Attahk_.