Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Drake Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 January 2002
This rather flawed late work from Viv Stanshall still has a lot of comic genius buried within it. It features Sir Henry as he travels to Africa in search of a long-lost tribe, and features one of the strangest songs ever recorded, some strangely beautiful poetry, and a violin as well. There are some hilarious moments and some memorable phrases, although the whole thing doesn't quite hang together to make it a classic work.
11 Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2001
Sir Henry at Ndidi's Kraal is well worth listening to. If, like me, you know 'Sir Henry at Rawlinson End' very well, you will find this a lesser work. Where that masterpiece is well crafted and overflowing with the genius of the man, in Ndidi's Kraal his superb talent is spread more thinly. It is a little rougher, less subtle and less gentle although there are still wonderful politically incorrect raspberries liberally scattered through the text. The sparkling gems of the brilliance of the man Stanshall shine, though a little less brightly. Devotees should sample this.
on 9 June 2008
Okay so this is not as polished as Sir Henry at Rawlinson End, or indeed any other of the great Vivian's work but it was recorded over a Bank Holiday and one suspects that lack of funds lead to it being handed over for release rather than being worked up into a finished article. I would, therefore, encourage you to consider this as a work in progress. There is mostly only sparse instrumental accompaniment to the Ramblings of Sir Henry but I would much rather have this imperfect work than not. Vivian Stanshall a troubled soul who struggled through depression and self doubt which is a cause of great sadness to many, especially to those closest to him. But the flip side was his brilliant flights of fancy and enormous creativity. Even as a child I always knew there was something strange and special about Vivian Stanshall and the feeling only grew over time. This man was a genius, I am grateful for the pearls he left behind.
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2014
Oh dear, as one of many hooked on Rawlinson End, I bought Sir Henry at Ndidis Kraal.

I am not saying that there is anything deficient in the record, simply that the joke here did not grab me as before.

My judgement is also based on the fact that I know a man who is so like Sir Henry that it is frightening, and he is more a cricket and beer comedian. Hence I'm a bit lost down at the Kraal.
on 15 December 2013
Wonderfully, totally, politically incorrect! Sir Henry is always at his best when drunk and finding himself on an African adventure he gets plenty of opportunities to stay that way. Lets him pull out all the stops and make outrageous observations. Viv Stanshall would never have survived or been published in the politically correct and fawning world that we inhabit now. Do Amazon sell field toilets and gloss paint, I feel a safari coming on....................?
on 12 November 2012
Don't be put off by the previous guarded reviews, however respectful and complimentry. This is a work of rare and original genius, by a man of the same.

My only gripe is that the audio quality is slightly imperfect, (at least with my recording) but after a number of listenings the clarity gradually improves. Once that's overcome, one gets to understand Ndidi's Kraal is a natural progression from Rawlinson End with less production afforded to it, and focussing almost entirely on Sir Henry himself. No matter, it's the content that's the thing and here we have brilliance in abundandance, Viv Stanshall discarding political correctness aside and sending up just about anything that comes to mind. Why, even Sir Henry admits to being a romantic fool!

In the end, one gets to really love dear old Sir H but as to his fate, we're left unsure. Please no one tell me, I hope he's ok?

The possibilities of this character are endless, and it's possible Viv still may have had a few more things up his sleeve for him.

If you're an admirer of Sir Henry you must buy this masterpiece of comedy and satire, and to Viv Stashall we raise our hats.
on 13 June 2014
I grew up with this guy in my ears, a total wacko but superbly British which is sadly lacking these days.. Not so good as the Sir Henry at Rawlinson End c.d., but still thoroughly enjoyable as only Stanshall aficionado's can be..... excellent for my money !!!!
on 31 December 2015
Just one thing to note, this is a CD not Vinyl but still great.
on 21 August 2015