Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 May 2017
Bought as a gift so I can't comment on the music.
Recipient very happy he loves it.
on 29 March 2017
Good album, a bit more up tempo than previous albums
on 20 March 2017
Very pleased, birthday present, quick delivery.
Manchester lads James have long since been one of my favourite bands, and their versatility is commendable. Their last album of the nineties, 'Millionaires', released in 1999, is a good demonstration of just how versatile they are.

The hit singles 'I Know What I'm Here For' and 'Just Like Fred Astaire' are solid, upbeat and energetic pop songs ('I wish it was Summer'), but a real contrast to the much more serious and darker songs like 'Shooting My Mouth Off' and 'We're Going To Miss You'. 'Strangers' is a real favourite of myself, because it has lyrics that I can really relate to. When I was going through a difficult period of depression, this song, though far from a happy tune, was something a God send. It's all about the subject of loneliness, and made me feel comforted and reassured that it wasn't just me who was experiencing those feelings.

At the time of it's release, Uncut magazine hailed 'Millionaires' as ''The best album James have ever made'', and although I'm still undecided as to whether it's my personal favourite, I do really enjoy it, and highly recommend it to others. If you still think that the song 'Sit Down' is all that there is to James, then I suggest you educate yourself by buying one of their studio albums to get the bigger picture, and 'Millionaires' is as good a place to start off with as any. Here, you get some great feel-good pop songs to lift your spirits, but will also experience some slower material, which requires more thought and concentration.
on 12 June 2009
James. A band, who in my opinion, don't deserve the rubbish they get from critcs and should be a household name. I've grown up with them, so I might be a little biased, but this has to be one of the greatest albums ever made. It covers just about every emotion, love, anger, sadness, joy and wonder. Whatever mood you're in, you can't go wrong with it.

1. Crash. A fantastic, rousing opener, guaranteed to get you up and moving. 7/10

2. Just Like Fred Astaire. One of my favourite love songs. Cute and sweet without being vomit inducing. The piano loop is beautiful. 9/10

3. I Know What I'm Here For. A song similar to Crash, yet entirely different. Great opening, you'll be singing along by the end of the song. 8/10

4. Shooting My Mouth Off. Beginning with Tim's vocals alone, this is an upbeat and singable song. 7/10

5. We're Going To Miss You. A song aimed at critics, shows the band's wonderful talent at being two polar opposites at once. Haunting and reassuring. 9/10

6. Strangers. Comforting and uplifting. 7/10

7. Hello. Stunning. It might take a few listens but this song will etch itself into your head and remain there all your life. Truly beautiful. The brilliance of this song is worth the price of album alone. 10/10

8. Afro Lover. Quite dissapointing. Listenable, but seems rather silly and filler-ish after the majesty of the previous song. 6/10

9. Suprise. Another sing-along chorus. An enjoyable listen. 7/10

10. Dumb Jam. An interesting song, once again the lyrics will near instantly be in your head. Humourous and with a great beat. 7/10

11. Someone's Got It In For Me. James albums have a long standing tradition of saving the best 'till last and this one is no exception. If you are not moved by the lead 'Let it fall away' and the backing 'Lies, lies, lies', you have a heart of stone. 10/10

12. Vervaceous. Simply awesome. You practially see and hear the beauty of the world being described. Instrumentation is simply genius. 10/10

It's a perfect album, and I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.
on 8 June 2000
Many listeners don't immediately take to James because of their complex, highly developed sound and Tim Booth's post-modern lyrics and voice. Quite frankly, James lacks any peer, in the UK or the rest of the world. Their sound and technique can only be described as Kafka-esque, in a beautiful and rhythmic way. Their albums emerge out of improvisational jam sessions; the band plays and Tim Booth weaves his poetry into the chaos, creating an entirely unique and utterly brilliant collection of songs for each album.
Millionaires, like all of James' albums, is pure genius. There are unforgettable love songs in JUST LIKE FRED ASTAIRE, SURPISE, and SHOOTING MY MOUTH OFF, songs where the listener wonders whether Tim Booth isn't singing directly to his audience. James' social conscience is evident in such songs as AFRO LOVER, DUMB JAM, and I KNOW WHAT I'M HERE FOR, but their true depth of ability shines through songs like HELLO and VERVACEOUS. And no James album would be complete without such self-aware songs as WE'RE GOING TO MISS YOU and STRANGERS. Millionaires is one to add to any collection, as are any of James' other albums.
on 31 July 2000
What can i say? I could say that ive been following James for years, and considering this late start I have grown to love them very quickly.
So, with the release of the new album, i rushed out to buy it, and was immediately captivated: from the excellent, upbeat opener CRASH, to the melodic finish of VERVACEOUS; this album is fantastic. Its like taking every great James song that appears on all the old albums and jamming them together on one great record!
A true return to form for a truly great Manchester band. Also, if you've never watched James live, you have missed a unique fulfilling experience. I have never met anyone who has seen a bad James concert. I never have.
on 25 September 2000
Before Millionaires many of james' albums had started of well but had contained some really dodgy songs near the end. Millionaires however contains nothing but fantastic songs all the way through. It starts off with a fine opening trio of "crash" "Feel like fred astaire" and "I Know what im here for" Then it finishes with songs like "Dumb Jam" that finish the album perfectly. Two of my favourite songs are "shooting my mouth off" and Strangers". However the song that I feel defines the whole album is the fantastic "Were going to miss you" this is a fantastic song, heartfelt and funky. This is a fantastic musical Achievement for the whole band.
on 12 February 2004
It's difficult to know what to make of "Millionaires". Booth saw it at the time as James' best album, and while this view may not be entirely popular with the fans, I'm inclined to agree with the singer (OK, so Pleased to Meet You was better, but Tim wasn't to know that at the time). There isn't a weak song here. The two which you'll be immediately most familiar with are "Fred Astaire" and "I Know What I'm Here For" (which, incidentally, has my favourite opener of any James song), but the rest are far from subpar.
It's true that some of the songs took a while to grow on me- I didn't fully appreciate "Someone's Got It In For Me" until I saw the live DVD, and I'm still working on "Vervaceous"- but there is a maturity and roundness to the album which is missing on some of their others. It may not be as epic as Seven, as experimentally creative as Laid, or as hauntingly beautiful as Pleased to Meet You, but this is still, in my opinion, James at their best. Part of this may be due to the presence of Michael Kulas, the backing vocalist who joined the band only in 1997. Kulas' voice gives a lovely contrast to the forthright clarity of Booth's singing, particularly noticeable on "Someone".
I'd heartily recommend this album to anyone. For those who are unfamiliar with the band, it represents probably their most accessible material. For existing fans, it's one of the best albums the band produced. Enjoy it.
on 4 December 2005
I'm slowly getting into James, and I must say this is a good album - I only steer clear of the 4 star accolade because I would rate some of my all-time favourite albums as only 4 stars. However, I've put 4 stars at the top because it wanted me to put something dammit, and 3 stars isn't really fair.
The first three tracks combine to be, in my opinion, one of the best opening trios to any album ever. The beginning to Crash enters you immediately into the world of James, and it's annoyingly catchy and clever at the same time. It then paves the way for the beautiful Just Like Fred Astaire - one of my all-time favourite love songs - and the brilliant I Know What I'm Here For. To be honest, it's probably worth buying the record for those superb first three songs.
The album slows down after that, but doesn't lose its way. Highlights amidst the more downtempo songs are Strangers, Hello and Someone's Got It In For Me, all of which are epic and string-laden - this seems to be what James enjoy doing and it really works. It's ambitious but pretty much pulled off.
There aren't many specific downsides - just that some of the album wanders through aimlessly. On the whole though, it's very good - beautiful in places - and well worth a look.
Is it just me or is the end to the album (last couple of minutes of Vervaceous) a bit like Imogen Heap's 'Hide And Seek', as heard in the finale to the second series of The O.C.? Just a thought.