Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 April 2017
I have developed an interest in the Jazz performed by the late Ronnie Scott, who played the tenor sax. It all began after I visited the Ronnie Scott's jazz club and began to wonder what he sounded like. This album is a collection of live performance recordings at the club. However, the CD doesn't come with much information, as I guess it was a budget compilation of some of his performances. There is no information about the recording date(s) or who were gigging with him, but he had house bands including his Quartet and Quintet and it will be an interesting project to discover the origins of these album tracks.
I have listed the track information, (and the CD says copyright 1997) -

1) Popo (8'01") (Shorty Rogers)
2) Pantagrulian (3'03") (Norman Stenfalt)
3) Mullenium (4'00") (Gerry Mulligan)
4) The Nearness of You (4'52") (Carmichael/Washington)
5) Nemo (6'40") (Harry Klein)
6) All the Things You Are (9'45") (Kern)
7) The Champ (4'11") (Dizzy Gillespie)
8) Day Dream (2'37") (Strayhorn/Ellington)
9) On the Alamo (6'10") ( Kahn/Jones)
10) What's New (3'58") (Haggart/Burke)
11) I May Be Wrong (2'35") (Sullivan/Ruskin)

All the music is instrumental and there are no vocal introductions. This is a shame in my opinion as Ronnie Scott was renowned for his wit and presence, so it would have been interesting to hear him make some remarks. The sound quality is good and the audience noise is mainly limited to some clapping which adds to the general ambience.

I really like the music on this CD which is a mix of BeBop and slow bluesy ballads. I'm really glad that I have discovered the music of Ronnie Scott, in particular, his later live performances recorded at his club. Earlier studio recordings that I have come across are much less vibrant.
on 26 September 2012
So happy to have got my hands on an music by an artist which has brought me so much joy over the years.
Great sound, and surprised at what a great price it is too. Thanks :-)
on 24 October 2016
excellent buy thanking you.
on 21 December 2014