Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 1999
Map of the world starts off with a very moving track (by the same name)and sets the scene for the rest of the album. Unlike other Metheny albums this one does not feature the traditional guitar sound found with Lyle Mays. However In my opinion it demonstrates that PM has varied musical talents, which PM fans will already be aware of. Its the type of album to relax and contemplate to. What is missing is the mix of instruments we have become found of and the vocals in the backround. If you like acoustic guitars and mellow sounds this is the album for you. If however you are experimenting with Pat Metheny for the first time you need to listen to more traditional PM tracks like Are you going with me, The longest summer, Mas allas etc.
Overall a great price of music.
on 19 June 2008
Another beautiful piece of work from an incredible artist. Pat has an uncanny knack of creating a tangible sense of emotion with everything he's involved with. Melody and atmosphere are here in abundance and should appeal to a wide audience- As another reviewer here remarked, this album isn't really representative of his work with the Pat Metheny Group although for me there's little doubt it's a Metheny record.
The music mirrors the gorgeous artwork contained on sleeve and disc label, interpreting and conjuring images of vivid nostalgia and melancholic contemplation. A wonderful record.
on 3 December 1999
A glorious album, played sparsely and with feeling. The theme established in the opening track is repeated and developed throughout creating an autumnal landscape where you can let yourself go. The kind of atmosphere I expected with the Jim Hall collaboration and never found.
on 1 March 2013
Every Pat Metheny album is different. This work is smooth, no jagged edges just beautiful music. Sometimes quiet, sometimes grand, always fluid. Its orchestral jazz. This may not be for everyone however Metheny fans will love it. I gave it 5 stars because I think thats what it deserves (I'm a fan).
on 13 October 2005
The best album I've heard in years. More classical than jazz. Immaculately recorded. Opens with a beautiful, sad, acoustic guitar theme, which returns throughout the album; then a couple of medium tempo jazz influenced tracks, before moving into a slow, sparse, haunting orchestral strings landscape for the bulk of the remainder with Metheny playing minimal and highly emotive guitar. I've never seen the film, and in a way, I don't want to. This superb music conjures up its own images.
on 30 January 2005
i heard this music on streamingsoundtracks.com and thought it was great. i bought this album which i luckily found here on amazon. i bought it on awhim and to my surprise is one of my favourite buys of the year. a really original and interesting score.
it uses alot of live instruments along with an orchestra. its a great fusion of what is a calm free thinking score that just flows.
if your a fan of film music you'll love it for its orginality and wit !
on 8 July 2013
I have always liked Pat Metheny's music ( well most of it anyway as some of it can be a bit too self-indulgent for my liking) and found it whilst browsing on my kindle. I'd never heard of the film before so listened to 30 second snippets of the tracks off the album and decided to add it to my Pat Metheny collection. I really like the theme that runs through most of the tracks and find it quite relaxing. I like to play the CD in my car and to be honest it's the only CD I've played since I got it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 November 2011
'A Map of the World' has all the hallmarks of mellow Metheny at his best.It is a beautifully crafted piece of work, acoustic guitars trace out haunting melodies to a background of a solemn sounding string section.Imagine the pastoral idyll that is Pat's collaboration with Charlie Haden 'Beyond the Missouri Skies' and add an orchestra for extra texture and depth and that's what you should expect to find is on offer here.

If you are looking for the Metheny the electric guitarist or Metheny the jazz innovator he is not present. What is present however, is a series of atmospheric little music sketches that have the power to move and charm even if they never go much beyond the statement of a idea and some associated orchestral detail. This is perhaps is not to be wondered at given the episodic and well defined functional nature of soundtrack music, where the music helps the story along and needless note spinning is not allowed to distract from events being acted out upon the screen.

Admittedly this album is not absolutely essential Pat Metheny but at the same time there is much to be enjoyed on this disc.The whole thing is about establishing a mood,rather then showing off Pat's amazingly fluid and creative guitar soloing.So if you take the album as it is intended to be appreciated it is a very successful and enjoyable piece of work. It is great for late evening listening or for those times where calm reflection is the order of the day. Recommended.

A Map of the World: Original Soundtrack
on 13 October 2004
That was what I felt when listening to this record. Sometimes melancolic tunes with a smooth feelin' of nostalgy.
on 28 May 2012
To be honest there are no words to describe this amazing album. I have first heard "A Map of the World" when I have bought it just upon the release as I have been told that Metheny wrote music to the new movie with Sigourney Weaver. I was completely haunted by the music from the very first time I have listened to it and I was not sure how it will work together with the movie as Metheny has created non-Hollywood masterpiece. In fact both music and motion picture fit perfectly. Emotional impact of the music is huge. Tracks like "Gone", "Alone", "Sunrise" or "Resolution" (unfortunately not used in the movie) are unbelievably beautiful and perfectly translate mood of thisvery dark movie.
It is such a shame that both movie with amazing performances of Sigourney Weaver and Julianne Moore and Meheny's masterpiece were completely unrecognized by Academy Awards and BAFTA. I will never be able to understand that.
Orginal soundtrack: A Map of the World: Original Soundtrack
DVD release of the movie: Map Of The World A and A Map of the World [1999] [DVD] [2007]