Customer reviews

A1
on 30 May 2017
Spot on
on 28 August 2013
Still as brilliant as ever! There have been a number of very sad premature deaths in the world of music, none more tragic than this man!
One person found this helpful
on 12 June 2016
magic album
on 2 May 2016
Brilliant
on 26 July 2016
Loved it
on 18 April 2015
Brilliant album sad loss to music RIP
on 16 May 2005
This is music with passion, with real feeling poured into it. The dark claustrophobia of the early tracks is admirably countered by the transcendence of 'The Eternal' and 'Decades', the closing tracks. This is spiritual pop music, not really suitable as background noise. Should be played at volume to really get a handle on its intensity and depth.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2015
All right, so I shouldn't go buying stuff off the www without my reading spectacles on, 'my bad' as I've heard one or two of the younger set saying, with no regard for grammar, of late, one of these awful Americanisms that have been insidiously nibbling away at our 'so-called' 'mother tongue' these last what? fifty-sixty years or so, but come on. Never have I been so taken aback, nay, shocked, as in 1000 volts of electricity sent through my already enfeebled system.
You see, poor as my eyesight is, and silly as it must seem to those of you fortunate enough to have 20-20 vision, not to mention a greater knowledge of 'modern' 'popular' music than me, I thought this was a Roy Orbison record. You know, one of those greatest hit collections or something. I could make out the title, 'Closer', which seemed perfectly in keeping with the Orb's oeuvre, while the picture was nought but a blur, but where it said Joy I saw Roy, where Division, Orbison. Oh, my son, Cleanth, thought it a great joke, but not so much my friend Frank, for whom it was a belated birthday present, he having been in the hostipal following a prolonged period of trauma following a certain event I don't wish to get into here if you don't mind.
Thus instead of 'Pretty Woman' or something to pick him up, what Frank got was 'Atrocity Exhibition', as he sat there in his lean-to conservatory in sky-blue pyjamas and brown plaid dressing gown. Meine Goth, it was as if someone had chucked fish bits all over the poor feller and then let sea gulls in. Music, and I've heard myself now don't worry, as a sort of penance, that sounds as if it was recorded in a lead-lined cell deep in a Siberian salt mine by a band comprising a seriously-ill alien, a schizophrenic serial-killer, an amphetamine-addled steelworker and a fourth equally disturbing figure. There follow 'songs' with titles such as 'Isolation', not a subject we older folk particular want to discuss, never mind hear some bloke 'singing' about, with lyrics like, 'Existence well what does it matter?' and 'This is a crisis I knew had to come, destroying the balance I kept,' and 'I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through, I'm ashamed of the person I am'! I mean come on! What's wrong with 'Crying' or 'In Dreams' or even that one the lesbian did!? (dk lang - not the psychologist).
This was almost the last straw for my friend Frank and should certainly be avoided unless you're already mad!
4 people found this helpful