Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 March 2013
Firstly, and as I always find with Edsel, the sound quality is amazing. This music truly benefits from the whole 'remastered' thing - differing tones of percussion jitter and shoot off everywhere, guitars trill and vibrate like mandolins in Greece, rubbery synths and compelling bass sounds lure you in.

There's so much here - it's like being given the album, a box full of memorobilia/collectible 7", cd singles/12" singles and a different sound system - all for the price of pizza? Sure somebody's favourite this or that is going to be left off (I wish Pull that Sucker Off and the Justin Strauss mix of She Drives were here) but overall track selection is great. I do notice a little variance in sound on disc 2 caused by nature of source materials - but, hey I'd rather a great track with a 'slight' (and it is slight) imperfection than to have those tracks eliminated entirely, this allows a more broad track selection as well.

The set seems to be laid out with disc 1 being the album/a couple great b-sides/some mixes - 2 of Ever Fallen - very pleased with those. Disc 2 is most of the Raw & the Remixed (great album in itself)/another group of later b-side like material (I don't care for this little grouping at all/sounds too American and if this was the direction they were headed in with the next album I'm relieved they stopped when they did - a very wise move) and then a very interesting group of remixes I personally had never run into - I should note remixes are usually just dull, repetitive meanderings to nowhere/these on the other hand have interesting use of voice/vocal acapella/tapes and the way they are structured seems to maintain for the most part the structure of the original.

In case you haven't noticed I'm impressed with these Edsel packages (no, I don't work for them). I/on my sound system find the sound quality and track selection to be exceptional. I've also noticed I can't get the Korgis 'Dumb Waiters' as an Edsel issue anymore; same with Blancmange's 'Mange Tout' -
on 18 November 2001
13 years on, this album still sounds remarkably fresh. Each track is different from the last, yet the album gels in one unique whole. Taking more traditional soul ("As Hard As It Is", "Tell Me What", "Good Thing"), jangly pop ("Don't Look Back", "Ever Fallen In Love?") and what was at the time contemporary dance ("She Drives Me Crazy", "Don't Let It Get You Down", "I'm Not The Man I Used To Be"), this album is a great collection of tracks, and highly recommended to anyone who likes good music. It took the band 2 years to produce, and there never was a follow-up but the results were worth it.
FACT: The video for "I'm Not The Man I Used To Be", released as a single Novemeber 1989, featured a young American dancer by the name of Sean "Puffy" Combs.......
The minor complaints would be that "The Raw & the cooked" has only ten songs and about 35 minutes worth of music. The bigger complain would be that the Fine Young Cannibals never put out another album as good as this 1988 effort which had its first two tracks, "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Good Thing," hit #1 on the Billboard Pop chart. FYC consisted of sing Roland Gift with a pair of former Beat members, guitarist Andy Cox and David Steele on keyboards/bass. Pegging the songs on this album into even a couple of niches is difficult because you will hear bits of everything from Motown and R&B from the past to punk and disco from the "present" in these ten songs, all fused together in a distinctive and enjoyable sound. Credit must be given to producer David Z, who had worked with Prince, Billy Idol, and others out of Minneapolis. Most of the songs were released as singles in the U.K.
Besides the first two cuts, the torch song "I'm Not the Man I Used to Be" keeps the party going on this album. But the most memorable track remains "She Drives Me Crazy," which has one of the most instantly identifiable openings of the decade and which was used to great effect in an episode of "thirtysomething" when Elliott fantasizes about what Nancy is doing after their divorce. I understand that the snare drum bit from that song is one of the most frequently sampled sounds in music history. Makes sense to me.
"The Raw & the Cooked" sold over 2 million copies and made it to the top of the album charts as well. When people talk about one hit wonders they are talking about artists where you want to have their big song but not their album. That is most certainly not the case with the Fine Young Cannibals. The only reason not to pick up this album would be because you also like some of FYC's earlier work (they only put out two albums) and you end up going with their hits collection "Finest," which has the six singles from this album.
on 27 June 2000
This was the cannibals best work in my opinion, and will surely not disappoint! All the classics like "She drives me crazy" , "good thing" are here! Put this in the car and DRIVE!
on 23 March 2013
Great album of edgy power pop from 1989 which I have always loved. It's a good upbeat album to play before going out!
I saw mixed reviews of this reissue - some complaining about missing tracks. I took the plunge and bought it - so glad that I did. Here's a few reasons why you may consider doing likewise:

- Sensitively remastering that brings out the detail which was previously obscured.
- Interesting and comprehensive sleevenotes. FYC sought out former Prince collaborator David Z as part-producer.
- Both FYC albums have not been reissued since the 90s, these are long overdue.
- Good selection of remixes, some excellent - 6 on (non-single) CD for first time.

Annotation
CD1 - 64 mins
1-10 Original album
11& 12 So-so extra tracks
13 Ever Fallen in Love (John Potoker Extended Mix) 6:21 - 80s dub style with enhanced elements
14 It's OK (It's Alright) (Ploeg Club Mix) 4:35
15 Ever Fallen in Love (Club Senseless Arthur Baker Remix) 9:26

CD 2 79:30 of remixes
Good selection. Highlights are:
- I'm Not the Man I Used to Be (Jazzie B and Nellee Hooper Remix)- even better than the original -enhanced funk factor
- I'm Not the Man I Used to Be (Jazzie B and Norman Cook Remix) 6:39 - soulful intro into enhanced funky beat
- I'm Not the Man I Used to Be (12" Mellow Mix) 4:50 - different vibe with twisted beat
[I will add more annotation if there is interest]
Previously released:
3 tracks are from the `Finest'
1 from `Finest Rare & Remixed'
2 from `Raw and the Remix'
All up a great package that is an essential buy.
on 2 April 2013
The music isnt the issue here, its a brilliant album despite its rather hotch potch nature (as the songs were recorded over three years for various projects). The original lp gets 5 stars, Edsel's lazy reissue is just that. They could have included a whole host of tracks that were issued over that period and never released digitally including b sides such as Pull That Sucker Off, remixes of she drives me crazy (by justin strauss and little louis vega), i'm not the man i used to be (by danny d, matt dike and missing versions by smith & mighty) and im not satisfied (virtually all of them).

What they have done is include most of The Raw and the Remixed cd issued in 1989 - note not rare as on amazon marketplace for 1p - and timewise thematically bizarre, the new songs from 1996 The Finest hits, with some of the accompanying period remixes - also currently 1p so hardly rare.

This could have been a brilliant reissue but fails dismally by containing only three tracks new to cd (out of 20 bonus tracks) and taking the obvious lazy routes to compiling.
on 9 May 2009
Seminal album from 80s funksters; the breadth and range of this 1989 album is well, breathtaking, and it yielded no fewer than five top twenty hits. With Roland Gift's smoky soulful vocals married to David Steele and Andy Cox's frantic guitar playing, songs such as 'Good Thing', 'Don't Look Back' and the awesome 'She Drives Me Crazy' sound as fresh today as they did twenty years ago.
Three years after the release of there classic debut album FYC were back with another fantastic album. The arrangements have moved on from the original album with the services of a drummer being dispensed with and a drum machine giving this a very contemporary feel some twenty years later.

Side one opens with the singles `She Drives Me Crazy' and `Good Thing' which not only showcases FYC but also pop music completely. The standard drops, which is hardly surprising, on the workman like `I'm Not the Man I Used to Be' and `I'm Not Satisfied' but is back with `Tell Me What' which somehow manages to sound totally contemporary and like a classic 50's piece at the same time.

Side two keeps the pace up with the brilliant `Don't Look Back' before lowering the bar on `It's Okay' and `Don't Let it Get you Down' before again climbing the heights with `As Hard as it is' and the priceless cover of Buzzcock's `Ever Fallen in Love'.

A brilliant album which sounds as fresh today as it did twenty years ago.
on 20 April 2014
Being only a tentative fan of 80's pop music, I was surprised how much I like this album. The reason is probably because this album isn't just generic 80's pop, it's capable of attracting a wide audience, with tracks like 'Tell me what' and 'As hard as it is' being two of my favorites because of their flashy tone. Even the more commercial tracks like 'She drives me crazy' manage to differentiate from the norm and really just work. One of my favorite's is 'I'm not the man I used to be' as it's another incredibly soulful track. The whole album truly expresses the phenomenal range of Rolan Gift's voice and I think for somebody to be able to pick this up in a local record shop for £1 and then nab it on CD for 1p (plus P&P, but still!) is an absolute steal. Highly recommended
The album came at a great price and I was surprised at the great condition
on 20 February 2013
I fell out with a lad to this in 1980-sumthin. He reacted by pulling the tape out of the cassette in order to exact revenge. I squirted a half full bottle of baby lotion over his head. We never spoke again.
Fast forward 20 odd years: I was having a nostalgic moment and decided to buy it on CD. It was still good and made me laugh to boot.