Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 September 2005
There are better Shankar's out there and even the real thing. However I grew up with this one. Well the vinyl version. Something seems different about the CD. I can not quite put my finger on it. It may just be that twenty yeas past.
However I still play this while writing reviews; it helps me to focus. It is like my security blanket or the old Ford pickup. It is there.
There are seven pieces each has its own personality and they do not blend that well. On the other hand it is not monotonous. The two musical structures intertwine and you are part. We hear the structure of western musical disciplines applied to Indian instruments. Shankar and Menuhin were very popular in their time; yet this very recording spans time and we can still get wrapped up and carried away today.
on 17 February 2013
I first read about Ravi Shankar collaborating with classical violinist Yehudi Menuhin in the recording studio when the obituaries appeared last year.The combination at first sounded unlikely to produce a satisfying result. Amazingly both musicians appear to inhabit the same wavelength and I cannot recommend this disc enough.
on 21 September 2016
So brought this CD because I saw a documentary on the BBC about the life of Menuhin & it put me in the mood to for the album, I don’t actually own any more of their albums (apart from Shankar’s performance on George Harrison’s “Concert for Bangladesh).
This CD is actually a compilation of “West meets East Vol 1,2,3” & what is instantly noticeably is how similar the Violin & Sitar sound, perhaps Shankar & Menuhin purposely tuned their instruments to sound the same,
According to the BBC documentary Menuhin used to practice being spontaneous on his violin the night before the recordings, but they're still enjoyable jams (although Menuhin doesn't play on “Dhun” or “Raga Ananda Bhairava”), with different moods & speeds within the songs creating a interesting dynamic within each piece & the inclusion of the violin make the music more accessible for the western ear.
Doing a little bit of research before writing this review, the over all consensus seems to be that these album weren’t either artist’s best work, but still something a little different to listen to (my usual poison is classic rock).
on 23 June 2016
An exciting gift from two exceptional musicians from different traditions.
on 13 May 2016
Good value, arrived on time.
on 30 October 2015