Customer reviews

Jesus Record
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 January 2014
A great collection of demos from Rich make up disc 1. Disc 2 show what the songs became when given the finishing touch by such wonderful friends and musicians. This record will have fulfill Rich's ambition. Amen
on 11 July 2013
So much good music, and quality songwriting on this album....good on the Ragamuffins for seeing this through, a fitting album to close the life of a talented musician...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 May 2003
I will confess, when I first bought this CD, I wasn't that big a Rich Mullins fan. I got it mainly because of his death. But through it I discovered what I'd been missing out on for years.
Rich Mullins was a great poet who had a unique way of looking at the world. He had a faith is God that was unshakable. And he used his talents to challenge his listeners. He also had a unique way of expressing himself in song. I find I listen to the demo CD more then the polished studio track second disc because I enjoy Rich's versions more.
This CD has one of his best works on it. "Hard to Get" is powerful. When I first stopped and listened to it, I was blown away. Basically, Rich spends two verses blasting God for the pain in his life, then acknowledges that God still loves him. Finally, he accepts that God is still in control and has been there all along, even if Rich was too blind to see. I've gone through that cycle more times then I care to admit.
There are several other highlights as well. "My Deliverer," "Surely God is with us," "Nothing is Beyond You," and "That Where I Am, There You..." all get plenty of play time as well.
Any Rich Mullins fan that doesn't have this CD yet needs to get it immediately. And it's a great buy for Christian music fans as well. It's the final thoughts from a wise man who was taken from us too soon.
on 11 September 2005
Often when going through life it is difficult to see God, the pain and suffering in the world and Jesus seems to be gone. The Bible seems full only of more war and hardship. This album does not deny reality, but it has helped me feel as Jesus a real person here and now. It gives hope and clarity in situations that seemed hopeless and confusing. This album is not a miracle, but it gives a sound track to the miracles of Jesus, and has made me think again about things which needed thinking about. Buy this album because when your soul cries out to God, this music will cry out with you. It has opened my heart again to God when he has seemed furthest away.
God bless.
on 20 October 2006
Though I rarely listen to the "Jesus record" (as opposed to the "demos" CD), the sheer beauty of Mullins' last recording makes it a set that's more than worth buying. I understand what they were trying to do with the Jesus Record, but the Demos carry this project.

The stripped down music and Rich's perfect lyrics make this CD what it is, and earn it 5 stars, irrespective of the professionally produced CD. Although there are some great songs from the studio, especially "Man of no reputation", Rich steals the show with the most beautiful lo-fi recording I've ever heard. You simply have to get it.
on 28 February 2014
This was a replacement as my previous copy got scratched to smithereens in the car and I so missed hearing it. Love this album. Inspirational. Made sad by the fact that there will never be a follow up to it, as the artist died soon after recording the original.