Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 May 2017
Terrific album. Neil Diamond knows how to work an audience and this comes through in the album. Such a talented songwriter, singer and musician. Spellbinding and a must for any fan. I am delighted with my purchase and would buy again.
on 2 February 2009
The production quality is basically straight to cd from the master tape so the expected sparkle and rawness of a live performance is very much there. As are the cringemaking backing vocals (far too shrill and messy on some tracks) and the embarrassing Henry Winckler appearance on Song Sung Blue. But also there are the wonderful songs - nothing too long - and the brilliant stuff from Jonathon Livingstone Seagull which makes hilarious nonsense with all the bits missing - For all of its bad points and all of its good points this album is a gem, buy it - it's a lot more fun than Hot Summer Night.
Neil Diamond has been a favourite singer for me since the mid 1960's - yes that long and yes I am that old!!
Neil never fails to please and this CD has a good mix of old favourites (Sweet Caroline, Beautiful Noise, Song Sung Blue, Holly Holy) along with perhaps some lesser known tracks, all of which have been written by Neil Diamond.
This is a very enjoyable and well balance collection of songs.
on 20 July 2017
Ok speaking as a real ND fan i gotta say this performance really does show Neil in his absolute prime of vocal quality throughout from his stunning rendition of the "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" set to the best live version of "Glory Road" that was ever recorded, actually this song is nothing short of INCREDIBLE! also certainly worthy of note is Neil's AMAZING BAND! especially his then drummer Mr Dennis St John who was his best drummer that he ever had in my honest opinion, yes Mr Ron Tutt is an absolutely incredible drummer having even toured with Elvis Presley from the early 70's until the end and even guesting on the LEGENDARY! Roy Orbison "Black and White Night Live" somehow he just does not quite cut it for me like Dennis does on Neil's songs
Recently, I had the opportunity to attend a live Neil Diamond gig. I was one of those aging Baby Boomers swaying creakily to that "good gospel beat". As usual, Neil puts on a crowd-pleasing program, but the years are beginning to take their toll. Diamond's voice occasionally can't keep up with the vocal energy output, the raw edges show, and his voice cracks. I sadly realized that our idol isn't what he once was, and longed to listen to a performance from the "old days". So, I purchased LOVE AT THE GREEK, originally recorded a quarter of a century ago. I listened, the years fell away, and it seemed like only yesterday.
This CD is a remembrance of Diamond in his prime when his presentation was as enlivening as strong, hot, harsh coffee with a pinch of sugar and a dollop of cream. (I'd like to say as smooth as Kentucky sippin' whiskey, but that analogy has never described his vocal style.) Of course, the timeless favorites - the ones he sings even at today's concerts - are here: "Kentucky Woman", "Sweet Caroline", "Holly Holy", and "Song Sung Blue". And there's my own personal first choice, the one that introduced me to his music and made me a lifelong fan: "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show". On LOVE AT THE GREEK, you'll also be able to hear songs he doesn't do live anymore (or at least I haven't heard them in recent years): "Glory Road", "I've Been This Way Before", and several from his Jonathan Livingston Seagull suite.
In terms of pure, raw energy, Neil's early 70s live concert recording of HOT AUGUST NIGHT certainly has more. However, by the time he appeared on this L.A. evening several years later, Neil had matured to the polished performer that resulted in perhaps his finest live performance soundtrack ever. We shall likely never again hear Neil croon so sweetly.
on 8 July 2008
Love at the Greek is the culmination of energy and vocal maturity at the peak of his career. The Jonathan Livingston seagul medley is in my view the highlight of the album and certainly a valuable add-on to the original album. In this masterpiece he touches the audience with his heart, singing with sheer emotions, true to the sticky note that said "Remember Hal, I don't only want to be his voice, but his heart." Of course, the other songs, such as Glory Road are valuable to any ND collection too.
on 29 November 1999
I have the original vinyl plus this CD and although the years have rolled by the music is timeless. this is still one of his very best albums
on 17 December 2010
This is a brilliant album it turned Neil diamond into a legend and from this point on it got better and better, buy this album for such a little money there's a lot of pleasure then move on to hot august night and see what a reel legend can do. Hope this is helpful cheers steve.........
on 22 December 2011
I saw this concert on tv when I was but a lad, and loved it. Combining energy and passion with a comfortable ease with the music, Neil Diamond led us through much of his best-loved songs, keeping the audience close all the way.

Low point would be "Song Sung Blue", not delivered in the spirit of the song, but as a singalong for crowd celebs (Helen Reddy was grand as we'd expect, but Henry Winkler was silly).

High point for me was "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show", which he belted out better than any snake-oil evangelist ever could.

Studio albums will give you the pure music, and that's worth having, but for a feel of Neil Diamond as a performer, this and Hot August Night are highly recommended.
on 13 May 2009
The CD is quite wonderful. My husband has had the Tape for more years than I have been his wife. He is so very pleased with the CD, the sound is great.