Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 October 2007
A really excellent Kinks collection. The whole CD drips with classy recordings from a hugely influential band. The price is a steal, the quality is uncompromising. A treasure trove of innovative British music, full of songs that surely require little or no introduction.
The Kinks made some superb music & a good cross section can be found here - you really would be barking mad not to get this, it's just ideal !
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2006
I purchased this album after watching a program on television which featured The Kinks. I recognised many of The Kinks’ songs on the program (and realised that they were all songs I liked) so bought this album and I wasn’t disappointed.
The album is great; the songs make you smile and laugh (my favourite line on the whole album being in Lola – “Now I’m not the world’s most physical guy, but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine. Oh my Lola…”
If you have never had a Kinks album before then you will probably be surprised at how many songs you recognise too.
This is a real foot-tapping album for me which evokes all sorts of feeling including different seasons (e.g. when I listen to Sunny Afternoon and Waterloo Sunset I close my eyes and feel as though I’m basking in the sun listening to great tunes when really I’m huddled over my computer on a freezing day when the boiler has broken down!)
A highly recommended album and one which won’t disappoint.
11 Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2002
If you like the kinks, then you probably already have this album. If you don't, then buy it quick. It contains all their best (and most famous) songs.
If you don't think you know who the kinks are, or any of their works, your probably wrong. Their songs have been covered many times, and even the bad covers are normally quite good. Combine that with advert soundtracks, and you've probably heard all the songs on the album already.
As for the songs themselves, they are all classics. From the cheery happiness of Sunny Afternoon to the total gender bending ridiculousness of Lola, from the upbeat bounciness of Dedicated Follower of Fashion to the utter brilliance of Waterloo Sunset, the songs are all superb.
In a word, the kinks were great. To find a best of which actually contains a lot of good songs is rare. To find one from a band who influenced so many others is even rarer. Buy it now
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2010
I remember in 1964/68 when the Kinks were at their height watching them on Top the Pops each week and thinking what a great songs they were .

This is a great collection of their songs and you can crib as I would have liked Well respected Man but how can you beat songs like Waterloo Sunset?

The first few bars of Waterloo sunset as so distinctive and put a chill down your spine.Similarly with sunny Afternoon it summons up sunny afternoons in the summer with the sun beating down and your on holiday.

They were the quintessential English group along with the Small Faces and I remember the Brit pop characters like Damon Albarn saying how much they liked and admired the Kinks.

They were an integral part of the sixties and ray Davis is still playing at places like Glastonbury and the V festival so another generation have the opportunity of hearing his great songs.

All their great songs are here from You really Got me to Days and far as as their late period and Lola.

This CD is a must for any fan of British pop music of the sixties.
on 22 February 2013
I'm horrified! I don't think I have ever heard such a flat tinny recording as this!
Just listen to one number from this CD then find the number on another here & you will easily hear the difference.
on 8 December 2012
Very dissapointed with this CD, especialy as it has a good selection of their earlier songs, I was looking forward to playing it. The sound is distorted as if it's been multi re-recorded and not a pleasure to listen to.
on 20 January 2010
'Best of' can always be criticised for omitting this song or that song but here is a good range of the Kinks hits, some better known than others. Thoroughly enjoyed listening and all the memories that came back as a result.
on 11 January 2015
A must for Kinks fans! Then go and see 'Sunny Afternoon' at the Harold Pinter theatre. The Kinks are enjoying a revival of interest and a growing appreciation of their contribution to popular culture since the 60's. A truly original band; now regarded as forerunners of Punk and other authentic genres grounded in working class culture and socialist politics.
I got this album when I was a wee lass, and I am delighted to find it on CD to give me the listening pleasure (sorry, I wore that puppy out!!) I have so missed.
This album was, at that time, all their biggest hits to date and that was a lot!!! From the first time I heard YOU REALLY GOT ME, Ray Davies and her brother Dave set themselves far apart from the rest of the British Rock Invasion. Their sound was pulsing, vital, gritty, raw and really got me!!!
So any Kink fan - THIS IS A MUST!!! And if you have not discovered the Kinks (what planet are you from again???) this is a great introduction.
'Ray Davies' fronted the 'Kinks' ...The Group broke into the Charts in 1964
with 'Pop/Rock classic 'You Really Got Me' which of course Topped the U.K
chart, it was followed up by another 'great number' ''All Day And All of The
Night' which peaked at number two.....The Kinks, had arrived, they continued
throughout the sixties, still achieving some success beyond that time.
They achieved sixteen Top Twenty Hits between 1964-1972 thirteen of which
were Top Ten entries, three of which Topped the Chart those being 'You Really
Got Me' 'Tired of Waiting' and 'Sunny Afternoon'
Among the memorable numbers also included on-board ....'Deadicated Follower
of Fashion' the much acclaimed 'Waterloo Sunset' 'Lola' and 'Apeman'
All the hits achieved up to 1972 are on-board the 20-Track CD.
The Kinks significantly contributed to what we know as the 'Swinging-Sixties' one
of the All-Time Great Groups.......another essential collector's item surely.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse