Customer reviews

Beethoven - Piano Sonatas, Vol. 1
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2001
I agree with the above.
is it just me, or is jeno jando a hugely underrated performer? I started listening to naxos CDs only recently on the recommendation of BBC R3's CDmasters, and have been hugely impressed.
I gather Jeno Jando was a rival (and friend) of Andras Schiff at the budapest conservatory.
All this is subjective, of course, but if you enjoyed his playing in this, try his interpretation of Brahms Piano Concerto no.2 (Naxos 8.554678). You get Joseph Banowetz giving an equally flawless rendition of Liszt's 2nd concerto on the same CD.
Over the years I have owned several recordings of this work, and I rate this one of the best.
When one thinks of great pianists, one thinks of Murray Perahia, Schiff, Ashkenazy et al., and it is totally justified, but surely this apparently self effacing man deserves to be mentioned in the same breath? His output of recordings is huge, he has stuck with a budget label (although naxos can claim to be "big Boys" these days), knowing it would bring his playing to a wider audience in a bigger repetoire, and his playing draws comparison with the best. The only thing he lacks, is recognition! I sincerely hope he receives it some day.
When you can listen to him at this price, who can complain?
on 28 April 2001
This CD, played by Jeno Jando is one of the best Cds I have listened to so far this year. The 'pathetique' is played with great fire and strength, the 'moonlight' with calm and integrity, and the 'appassionata' with joy, all doing justice to the superhuman composer in Beethoven.
on 17 January 2006
I have ordered this MiniDisc from Jeno Jando and I hope it is still available cus I already have a few albums from Jeno Jando of wich his performance is outstandingly good ! It could rank easely with full-priced recordings. I agree opinions differ but I just prefer Jeno Jando. Recognition is the only thing that lacks on him ! I would recommend it to everyone listening to pianosonates by Mozart, Beethoven, Bach and Dvorak played by the Hongarian soloist Jeno Jando. Greetings ....