on 8 November 2011
Antoni Wit adopts much slower tempo than the famous Zinmman / Upshaw version. First, I felt it's too slow, however, once I understood the conductor's intention to bring the elegiac quality of the work in more contemplative atmosphere, I've come to appreciate this performance. Zofia Kilanowicz proves to be a great match to Dawn Upshaw. The transparent quality of her voice fits the music and her singing is profoundly musical without wallowing in sentimentalism.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 August 2017
Music that speaks to you of great sorrow but at the same time soothes your mind.
on 18 May 2017
A very moving piece of music prompting reflection on one of the horrors of WORLD war 11.. Poignant and moving.
on 27 January 2018
Sublime!!
on 11 March 2016
definitive melancholic and reflective
on 14 November 2010
i have nothing to add to the above reviews, except to say that although the nonesuch release is the more famous rendition, gorecki himself loathed it and preferred this rendition by his fellow pole antonio wit. So if you want to hear what gorecki meant now that he has sadly passed away, then look no further then gorecki's preferred version.
24 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2011
This is a great recording. Perhaps it's because it's Antoni Wit's mother tongue that the sorrowfulness of this piece is conveyed so well. A pure joy.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 February 2015
A must for every collection, this symphony of sorrowful songs relieves the troubled soul with the sense of mutual grieving that heightens the importance of the ties we have and those we have lost with suffering. The music has a religious accent that transcends the earthly and gives place to a kind of reverence.
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 26 July 2013
Prompted to buy it after reading a Polish Jew's account of his experiences in death camps in 2nd World War.
on 12 November 2016
I had heard nothing of Gorecki's music before buying this CD. I purchased it purely on the strength of the very positive reviews I found here. I recognise that appreciation of music is a subjective thing, and that I can only present to you my personal opinion. I found this music unchallenging, short of ideas, and vastly over-long. It has no depth. I can readily imagine it finding a massive audience on Classic FM, or amongst people who prefer very 'easy-listening' classical music. I cannot imagine that an alternative performance of the music on this CD would render it a whit more palatable.

I buy classical CDs frequently without prior hearing (I am trying to broaden my outlook) and can almost always find a place for any given composer's work in my collection; however, this CD I find to be unbearably insipid, such that I would not want it on my shelves at all.