• Life

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 April 2000
This is one of the three albums that helped make Manchester such an exciting place to be back in 1989/90. For anyone like me whose Saturdays were spent down Affleks Palace and nights in Dry201, with trips to Spike Island and G-Mex thrown in, this album takes you right back there. I lost the album but re-purchasing it was a very good idea. Do the same and relive those heady days.
on 18 July 2000
Life is one of the definative albums of the early 90's. They really illustrate to me all that the Manchester scene of that time was. It is no coincidence that a certain Gallagher learnt his craft in the Carpets camp, and then thus went on to great things. Also the best live band ever! Are the animal noises after Sackville, Clints bedroom?
on 13 January 2012
Very pleased with this...haven't heard much Inspiral Carpets music before and as I am going to see them in concert in March have decided to buy their albums so I will be word perfect by then;) Loved it!!!
on 16 May 2009
I was 16 when the 'Madchester' scene first kicked off and this period coincided with my introduction into enjoying music. Subsequently this period in music history has a permanent place in my heart.

The Inspiral Carpets were one of the better bands to come out of the 'baggy' scene but this debut album in nothing special. There are 3 or 4 decent tracks but the majority seems to be of a poor standard. Still the good tracks such as the excellent 'This is How it Feels' makes this album worth a purchase.

IF you want a great Inspiral Carpets album; I would suggest buying the follow-up 'Beast Inside' album. This debut album however is not as good but still enjoyable for aging indie-dudes like me.
on 7 December 2009
For some bizarre reason most of my music collection is either from Manchester or was influenced by the Madchester scene(Oasis,Joy Division,Happy Mondays, New Order,Stone Roses,Charaltans, Buzzcocks I could go on)

On listiening to this album when I got it straight away after listiening I knew this was an album that you could listien to start to finish like Happy Mondays Pill thrills...,New Order's Techneque and the Jam's All Mod cons and when it finishes you want to cry out for more.

Songs which impressed me Directing Traffik, Bedside me and Many happy returns(those two being the heavyweights on the album)Sun don't shine, Inside my head and finally Move.

Well recommended
on 13 January 2015
Great band
on 23 June 2016
Brilliant
on 23 June 2007
being a student during the 'madchester' era, I was very into the scene. But for some reason the inspiral carpets never did it for me. I bought this album on the strength of the great single 'this is how it feels' and it is a great song, but really the rest of the album felt a bit hollow and empty. There were many other bands around at the time who were less well known but came out with great songs, such as the Mock Turtles , Paris Angels, Cygnet Ring etc, whereas for me this album turned the Inspirals into a 'one hit wonder' band.