Customer reviews

GOOD ALBUM.
on 30 August 2017
excellent
on 16 November 2013
I own every single studio album by The Boss, and this has been overlooked by me for a long time.

Although it doesn't have the same sound, style or musical glee of his first six releases, I think this is better than Born In The USA and as good as Tunnel Of Love. I do think he has released a few lacklustre albums (Working On A Dream and Devils and Dust spring to mind), and musically this is fairly tame by his previous Born To Run standard. But people grow, tastes change. And this album is not a million miles from the style of Magic, which is hailed by many (including myself) as being one of Bruce Springsteen' s better efforts of recent years!

Human Touch, Soul Driver, Gloria's Eyes, 57 Channels. These songs alone make this album at least worth a listen, but this is an upbeat and enjoyable collection of party rockers and haunting slow songs!

Released the same day as the rather outstanding (and similarly underrated) Lucky Town, this album is frequently ranked as the worst of his albums. Sure, it's not as essential as many of his earlier works (The Wild,... and Darkness come to mind), but I think its a treasure trove of more commercial sounding Springsteen fare.

If this came out today, it would be hailed as a great album, and a nice change of pace from the politically charged (and frustratingly preachy) Wrecking Ball. Better than I expected it to be, I am very pleased I chose to revisit Human Touch again!

I will go out on a limb and say I prefer this to better recieved works such as Nebraska, Born In The USA, Seeger Sessions, Devils And Dust and Working On A Dream. Of his two 1992 albums, I would say Lucky Town is the better release, but this deserves to be recognised as a minor highlight of Bruce's illustrious and varied career!
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 March 2013
I love every single record on this album- classic Springsteen which never disappoints. A real must for any Springsteen fan.
on 3 July 2012
Released in 1992 this remains one of my favourite Springsteen albums.
It has the traditional rock guitar driven sound that really makes most of the songs stand out,from the brilliant "Human Touch" which is one of my long time favourites,to the catchy "57 Channels" and the magnificent "Roll of the Dice"-a real masterpiece of a song,to the haunting "I wish I were blind" it's clear that a true rocker is at work here.
If you want my opinion there's really no weak tracks on this set,yes,some are indeed "stronger" tunes than others but there's nothing terrible for the most part,it rightly deserves high praise.
Can't understand why some reviewers are so downbeat regards this album......it's awesome!!!
on 19 July 2015
great cd
on 20 May 2017
Bruce at his best
on 6 April 2001
This album, while not feeling as coherent as others, has some of the most thought-provoking lyrics of Bruce's career. The title song is enjoyable but repetitive, and the next 4 tracks are utterly unlistenable (track 3; 57 Channels and Nothin' on, is just about the worst song Bruce has ever produced). We are then treated to "With every Wish", a lovely little ballad. This is, indeed, then spoilt by the next song, "Roll of the Dice". The tracks that follow make the purchase worthwile. While they are essentially happy songs, dealing with the subject of love in a new and refreshing way, it seems to me they have an element of sadness, it seems that all the girls he loves throughout the tracks do not love him back, and he is searching for an answer. The album ends with "Pony Boy"; a carefree track that tells us we should not worry ourselves about all the issues addressed in the previous songs, and just relax and take life as it comes...
on 26 June 2009
I have never been able to understand why so many people criticise this album so much. I suppose that for those fans who first fell in love with Bruce during his 'Born to Run' or 'Born in the USA' days, then this album may seem a little too "middle of the road". I myself however am a relatively young fan (24) and first dicovered Bruce when I was a teenager and he was "getting on a bit", with a wealth of material behind him already. I set upon a decade-long journey of discovery by gradually collecting all of his albums (in random order). Of course I liked some better than others, but I soon fully appreciated all the different styles and 'phases' of his music throughout the years.

In my opinion, Human Touch is one of the finest of the handful of albums in which Bruce comments on 'men, women, and relationships' as he would put it. You wont find many examples of the kind of storytelling found on Born to Run, or the socio-political commentry of Born in the USA, or the bouncy feel-good rock of The River. But you will find beautiful, melodic and well constructed songs on the interactions between men and women, and the salvation that can be offered from that all-important 'human touch' in life.

Indeed, this album is not perfect by any means. 'Real Man' is clearly one of the worst songs ever written by anyone, let alone Springsteen. 'The Long Goodbye' and 'Roll of the Dice' also leave a lot to be desired. But who can fail to listen to 'I Wish I Were Blind' without feeling that this song alone makes up for the bad ones? In my opinion 'I wish I were blind' is one of the finest songs of his career, and an utterly beautiful, painful love song.

Other highlights are of course 'Human Touch', 'Cross my Heart', 'Soul Driver', 'With Every Wish', 'Man's Job'...I could go on. It is every bit as good (if not better than) it's partner album 'Lucky Town', although it is often seen as the weaker of the two.

We of course have our favourites and this album will not appeal to everyone. But do not be discouraged from giving this album a try just because you heard it's not up to scratch, or because it might not sound the same as his earlier work. Or, if you already own this album and found it disappointing before, take it off the shelf and give it another listen to make doubly sure!
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse