HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 April 2014
Sixty years ago Dylan Thomas' famous play was first heard on the BBC, and since then people have still kept coming back to it. Narrated by Richard Burton and others playing the characters this has become a classic to listen to, not just to read. I must admit that although I have read the actual play many times over the years it has been ages since I have listened to it, which is really the ideal way with this.

Set in the fictional town of Llareggub the writing is so lyrical and poetic and is a pure pleasure to read, and even more so to listen to as here you get the full musicality of the voices, really bringing this to life.

Although you can listen to this at any time, I think probably the best time of all is lying in bed with headphones on, thus you can really relax before going to sleep, and have pleasant dreams. Closing your eyes really helps you to imagine this place and the inhabitants.
on 20 August 2017
The voice of Richard Burton is perfect. His intonation is outstanding and this is probably the best recording that will ever be made.
on 4 February 2018
A very very unique recording. Fascinating blend of poetry, acting skills and music. George Martin's composing and production work really shine, as well as Elton John's melodies! I had heard parts of this many years ago, but this year 2018 was the first time hearing the whole thing. I'm glad I purchased it and have it in the collection!
on 11 May 2014
This year 2014, is the 100 year anniversary of Dylan Thomas, the Welsh poet's birth.
"Under Milk Wood, " originally a radio play is his seminal work. This amazing offer of a MP3 download for ; for less than your favourite pint of beer, or indeed many Sunday newspapers at £1:49 should be snapped up.

The late Richard Burton's masterful voice give the piece wonderful soothing cadences, perfectly suited to the rythmn of the work.
At this price, why are you still reading this? get downloading now !
on 19 November 2014
We'd heard a different version of this on the radio and couldn't tear ourselves away - we had to stay and listen to all of it. We enjoyed this version just as much. It's a wonderful piece of work by Dylan Thomas with fantastic descriptions and we have enjoyed this version with Richard Burton and his wonderful voice. I have a cousin who used to love reading but is now losing her sight so I'm thinking of getting her this for her birthday. I'm sure she'll enjoy it as much as we have.
on 26 December 2013
Cancel everything, lock the doors, draw the curtains and switch off the TV. Ideally sit next to a roaring fire favourite drink in hand to listen to this landmark recording. Described by its author Dylan Thomas as a 'Play for Voices' actor Richard Burton is perfectly chosen to be First Voice, the narrator of this drama based on life in a Welsh village. Thomas had an idiosyncratic and poetic writing style perfectly suited to being read aloud and its sheer originality has ensured it will hardly date.
on 13 May 2014
Had it for many years and bought this one as a present. I must of listened to it a thousand times on mp3 players all over the world. 1: its a great listen and there is no particular plot so you don't worry about having heard it again. 2: if you are sleeping on a plane it covers up the sound of others talking, and if you do wake up it lulls you to sleep 3:when working in the US I found the sound of "American" hard on my ears and this is like a gloopy lotion.
on 20 April 2014
Excellent production of Under Milk Wood, with Richard Burton. This was a present for my mother in law who is partially sighted and enjoyed listening to a 'talking book' of Under Milk Wood, from her local library. So much so that she wanted her own copy.
This version isn't exactly the same (absence of Sian Phillips) however is very close to what she wanted.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 November 2009
Having always had fond memories of hearing Under Milk Wood on a repeat broadcast some years ago, it was nice to discover it was as fresh and potent as ever. The sing-song Welsh voices, the musical delivery, the unexpected adjectives, the cunning verbs - a delight from start to finish. It is also so much the finished article that it is undated, and spikily relevant for us today. One of my best ever Amazon buys.
18 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2018
Classic! Sit back and relax to the voices and the daily stories of Welsh folk in a small village...all told in wonderful Welsh dialect.