Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 November 2002
I bought this album in retrospect after falling head over heels for Karl Jenkins wonderfully crafted music in Adiemus2 - Cantata Mundi. This album though, was where it all started and in its own right Songs of Sancuary is a tremendous effort with gloriously rich, and complicated harmonies, effortlessly sung in modern, European and ethnic styles by Miriam Stockley and Mary Carewe. The words are meaningless, being phonetic and merely serve to add another instrunment (the human voice) to the orchestra.
It is a truly awesome work, and deserves to be played in the order in which it was performed live at the Royal Albert Hall in 1996 - this was much more sensible an order than the running order on the CD. Smurf the Internet for the details - I did !! It was well worth it.
This music will make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end !!
Prediction - after playing Adiemus - Songs of Sanctuary, you will not be able to help adding Adiemus 2, 3 AND 4 to your collection.
on 16 March 2003
I was given this album as a present, and it was my first introduction to the music of Karl Jenkins. The vocals are wonderfully rich, yet also very pure, with an absence of vibrato and decoration to the simple-sounding melodies. However, underneath this apparent simplicity lie complex harmonies and subtle, yet unexpected changes.
If you are a non-musician, this is perfect music to relax to. If you are a musician, feast your ears on the unusual modulations. If you are connected with a choir, you will find it hard to resist buying the music (no doubt also available from Amazon). It is a beautiful work for any choir to perform. It is a beautiful work for anybody to enjoy.
on 1 June 2004
Now I'm the type of person who has particular tastes, will like one track on an album but couldn't care less for the rest and need new things to keep my interest etc. Jumping from various music such as Enya to Kitaro, to Vangelis, Secret Garden, instrumental/soundtrack/'mysterious' music by varied composers and artists, I have once again found something that makes me feel like I am 'coming home'. I always knew of Adiemus from the past when I used to listen to Classical FM many years ago (though CFM only seemed to play Madre Natura? all the time), but recently I heard Zarabanda which blew me away, then several other tracks from across the albums. If you have ever hummed to yourself, not some simple ditty, but attempted to use your voice as an instrument going smoothly from one note to another, the sound of voices in Adiemus is similar varying from string-like to ethnic chanting. It sounds like you get a whole load of beautiful female voices, layered upon each other, with instruments such as lilting flutes, or ghostly strings to a rhythmic tambourine. And the most amazing thing about the music? I find it hits the right notes at the right times, the way it changes from one note to the next, it doesn't feel like they have chosen notes to fill in the blanks for the sake of it. As a testament to how much I regard I hold Adiemus in, I have ordered the first 4 cd's (only the first 4 have Miriam Stockley) and also Miriam's first album (all for the bargain price of under 40 pounds! Don't think you'll find that in HMV!). If you need other vague comparisons (that still only suggest what half the sound of Adiemus is like) to make up your mind try these: Enya - Afer Ventus, Final Fantasy Vocal Collections 1 - Prelude.
on 22 February 2002
A cd that starts superbly and continues to get better. The sound quality is superb and the music the cd purveys is some of the best that you are ever likely to hear outside of a live performance.
on 6 November 2004
I think this CD is the ultimate chill-out album. The melodies are haunting, the voices are beautiful; its a musical masterpiece.
I have loved it since I first heard it several years ago, and still haven't tired of it. Its especially good on a cold autumn or winter night with a mug of mulled apple juice! I would seriously recommend it to anyone, at any time of year.
on 21 November 2015
It's all been said hasn't it! Karl Jenkins is up their with the very best. He writes music in "layers"... discover these layers, and you have a truly fantastic musical experience. It appears that many have, without understanding the rudiments and theory of music, many been able to appreciate this. Such popularity is an epitaph to this musical genius and is commented on without patronising those who don't. Listen to more Karl Jenkins, please don't stop at this CD. There is so much to explore in classical music these days. This work will open your mind as Holst's Planets did for me 40 years ago. I never looked back!
on 27 June 2003
I first heard Track 1 as Track 8 on the Pure Moods Album. As a longtime vocal harmonizer (20+ years experience with various chorales), I felt right at home listening to this masterpiece of vocal quality. Talent and skill abound in this album which must be considered a classic piece of musical culture for anyone who wants to consider themselves musically educated.
I was heartily impressed.
on 18 June 2016
My first foray into Karl Jenkins music. I purchased this based on the great reviews. This only proves we are all different and whilst I respect other opinions I must have my say . I found this cd to be awful / crap and will never entertain even looking at a Jenkins piece again. I feel sorry for the London Philharmonic for wasting their time. Sorry but that's how I feel. The CD has been binned I wouldn't insult my friends by giving it away.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2000
This CD will become a modern classic. Despite not being mainstream and remaining the secret of those lucky enough to own a copy, it has entered the public consciousness via various television advertisements - Delta airlines to name just one. The music is soaring and uplifting, with the harmonies so subtle and yet so clear. Undoubtedly the best track on the album is 'Tinntinnabulum' - meaning ringing of bells - which is not so recognisable as many others but the climactic string introduction that is so reminiscent of Barber's adagio places it beyond the reaches of many modern pieces. This makes perfect driving music, but it is equally at home anywhere. No respectable CD collection is complete without it.
on 1 July 2001
The cd that i listened to was my sisters and the first time i heard it i was mesmirised by the powerful music that could induce any kind of reaction in the listener it wanted to, ranging from quiet soulful music to exuberant, happy music. I found it lovely and i often get in trouble for sneaking into my sisters room to steal it for a listen. I would definately recommend this cd to anyone who is having a stressful time with work or studies-or just plain good music to fall asleep to.