Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 May 2014
This was an interesting time for ZZ Top - they had reached their commercial peak and it seems that they were now looking to offer something closer to their original pre-Eliminator sound.

So what we have here is an album with a slightly less commercial edge, a few more blues riffs and something closer to their roots as a band.

A very good album which took a few plays to appreciate, but accomplished nonetheless.
ZZ top, returning more to their roots, following the over produced "afterburner" followup, to "eliminator".
A good mix of tracks, with "pin cushion" and "Cover your rig" being my personal favourites.
on 13 June 2013
classic box set features later zz top, not exactly eliminator still zz top doing what they do best. kick ass
on 22 April 2017
This ZZ Top album was released in 1994 and has a total of twelve quality tracks the strongest of which IMO is 'Pincushion' and it's this track that's also used as an opener at many ZZ Top concerts and I can understand why,it's brilliant and one you'll listen to many times.
Other songs such as 'World Of Swirl' has a crackin' riff and 'Cover Your Rig' has a dark sound and great guitar tone and that's what I love about Antenna the sound of Billy Gibbons guitar which is heavy and searing.
It's not really like any other Top album I can think of and that's what sets it apart,good quality songs,great guitar and a Cd you'll like to have in your collection.
on 28 November 2012
I'm on a journey of ZZ Top rediscovery at the moment. I used to have this album in my teens c.1994/5 but just didn't get it because it wasn't the familiar "Eliminator" Top that I was aware of. Over the years my copy of Antenna disappeared but as part of my return to the Texan trio I purchased this to slot into the collection.

Listening to it 20 years on I think time has been kind and maybe that's where ZZ Top work best - you can play their stuff at any time in your life and it just doesn't feel out of place no matter your age.

Pincushion is a nice opener that feels it wouldn't have been out of place on Recycler but from then on it does feel like the Top are heading on a road to regain something they lost in the 80s synth and drum period. There is still a pop-orientated feel to their music (World of Swirl's intro and drum backer - drum intros are quite prominent actually....) but tracks like Breakway, PCH and Cover Your Rig deal back that southern feel which reminds me a bit of their style pre-81. The lyrics aren't rocket science or overly complex which is, I think, a winner because Gibbons and co are more than adept at keeping it simple, playing some dirty guitar licks and cracking a few wry smiles and throwaway lines that keep you listening.

Not one for a new fan but I would say if you've listened for a while and have heard their later albums you might enjoy. Secretly, I really like it - but don't tell anyone!
I first heard Antenna years ago when it came out and hated it. I felt it was Afterburner revisited and lacked in any originality. Well, I was wrong.

First off, there is the giant slayer of a track called Pincushion. An absolute stoater of a song. Great sound, oblique lyrics and the usual stunning rhythm work. Essential ZZ stuff.

Secondly the production of this album sounds superb. No need for remastering with this one. It hums and clicks in all the right places, great bass and clean top end.

The only gripe I have with this one, now after all these years, is the tedious nature of the lyrics on a couple of songs - Antenna Head, PCH, Cherry Red and Cover Your Rig in particular. They are just dull double entendres, or just dull.

Tracks worth buying this for are Pincushion, Breakaway, Lizard Life, Deal Goin' Down and Everything. And they are really worth hearing, even if you only have a passing interest in the Top.
on 2 December 2011
ZZ TOP do not play your usual boring guitar riffs, they play totally original brilliant riffs, heavy, surreal with real kickarse feel, Billy Gibbons a true maestro, these guys are as good today as they have ever been, over 40 years of sheer brilliance!!!!
on 23 February 2003
Houston - we have NO problem - the Top are back and they're rockin!
ZZ Top's 1994 album release is twelve tracks of sheer genius. You get what you expect from Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard - amazing and precise guitaring, powerful drumming, rock and power ballad - all topped off with a traditional slice of boogie woogie ZZ Top style.
The opening track "Pincushion" has become a favourite of the boys' in concert (the lyrics speak for themselves -"I'm gettin' pricked around and puncturated, I let my ya ya down, I got penetrated"). They may be old Texans but the spirit of blues and rock still pumps full on through their veins. It's hard to extract the best of the best on this release, but for me, "World Of Swirl", "Fuzzbox Voodoo" and "Girl In A T-Shirt" are standouts. Just look at these track titles - only the Top could get away with it. Production of this album is polished.
If Eliminator was the definitive ZZ Top of the 1980's then 'Antenna' is their casino royale of the '90s. Rumour has it that ZZ Top will be the first band to play on the first commercial lunar shuttle - book me a ticket because this album rockets to a cosmic level and its appeal is definitely universal.
A great album and a must for any ZZ Top fan - well done boys.
on 6 June 2014
I Bought this CD on basis of seeing this concert live years ago so I would have a reminder of that time. It's actually pretty good in most part but the odd song is not that popular with me. Can't have it all I guess ;)
on 1 October 2014
A great album by the texan trio from the early 1990s following up their stellar success with Eliminator and Afterburner.