Customer reviews

on 27 March 2007
When I was replacing my vinyl and got around to replacing this I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price. It's a brilliant, irreverent, late sixties\early seventies, freak-power, off-the-wall, drug, self deprecating, raw, english, tongue-in-cheek, earthy recording. Five or ten quid maybe but Eighteen!! You're havin' a larff. I dropped it in my wish list to revisit periodically. I have and it's still eighteen quid.
I want it - 'Death the Lover' and 'Best Suit' - the anthemic 'Free to be Stoned' and their love song 'In Another Way'. I just hope it's reissued soon at a more affordable budget price - ideally wrapped up with A=mh2 (which I've never heard). Dream on!
They've now release a compilation of all three Clark-Hutchinson's albums called "Free to be Stoned" - a great value offering ... although Retribution remains the stand out contribution for me.
on 12 July 2009
Well it is a great album full of humour and great guitar, but live it was just one insane freak show. Mick Hutchinson would rip off a Clapton, Beck or Page riff then turn it into his own. The drummer during his solo de-tuned the drums with his teeth while playing them and Andy would tight rope walk the edge of the stage. Its drug a crazed rock & roll cabaret but above all musically sound and well worth a listen. Possibly the most memorable gig I attended.
on 27 February 2004
God only knows why nobody knows this album, everyone I've played it to recognises it have one of the funniest and most stunning guitar solos (on Free to be Stoned) ever recorded. Eat your heart out Eric Clapton, this is the BLUES with balls!!!!
on 18 September 2014
A blast from the past that I had forgotten about I thought it was OK, my cousin loves it so I have passed this album to him.
on 3 October 2007
This is an excellent album and "Best Suit" must be one of the best tracks ever recorded.
on 15 May 2008
I first heard this album a few years ago after a recommendation from a friend and i thought it was absolutely crazy - the first track on side one, "free to be stoned" contains some wild, raw blues riffing and vocals repeating: "i just wanna beeeee stoned for the rest of my natural life...!" ...catch the drift? sounds like a jam session, i bet this was great live. wild vocals on this album Andy Clark, guitar Mick Hutchinson, "amazing" bass Amazing Stephen Amazing, percussion Del Coverley. This album is very blues orientated, much moreso than their previous debut album "A=mc2". "when i'm stoned everything seems to turn out right.." and it does seem to on this track. the sound quality is typical of albums from this period, solid bass, fairly clear, not cluttered and over-produced,not bad at all. the next track, a jazzy/bluesey ten minute instrumental called "After Hours" has a bluesey tinkling piano intro and shuffles along nicely, includes a fairly standard guitar solo, late-night smoky club music. on side two, not as good as side one in my opinion, the first track, "In Another Way" is not an outstanding song but includes a nice litle guitar solo. "Best Suit", the longest track on side two at ten minutes, is very similar to "Free to be Stoned" , half-spoken/screeched vocals about a lost hat (??),though less manic but just as raw.to some this track may sound a bit like a monotonous and repetitive jam but it settles into some basic bluesey guitar soloing and riffing. the final track "Death, the Lover" has a monotonous plodding beat and the aforementioned vocals and goes on for seven minutes. they muck about too much on this one and is not my favourite track, near the end it breaks into a completely different song .."i wish i was a mountain" all the tracks on this album are done very tongue-in-cheek and make "interesting" listening - hope you've got a good sense of humour! the band's philosophy is summed up thus on the reverse of the sleeve: "We are what we are and nobody can change us, because of this we have had to learn to swallow the aches of humiliation, perhaps now our exile is over. ah! there is hope in dust thrown up by the wind. out past the paper, out past the plastic, comes the music. Andy Clark." A record exec's nightmare! despite my seemingly lack of enthusiasm about side two of this album i play it often, and its subtle humour always cheers me up! highly recommended!
on 2 October 2004
read my appreciation of this fine band at
[...]
on 12 May 2011
Originally, a friend lent me this album (way back then in the 70's) and I remembered a jazzy/bluesy track (actually 'After Hours') but not the name of the band!

Amazingly, in looking for something else I came across this album by chance and so it turned out to be the same band! Sent for the CD and today it arrived and even as I type it is playing. What can you say? The offering is five tracks, four long tracks and one short!

I guess golden head-bangers might like 'Free to be Stoned'. Far from the best guitar work - and weak vocal, as it is on 'In Another Way', though fretwork is better! Vocals and instrumentation improve on 'Best Suit' amore bluesey offering. The album closing track is 'Death, the Lover' and back to some pretentiousness (as they did in those days!).

But getting to the track that stuck in my head, 'After Hours', a ten-minute burst of sanity and a great jazzy number; excellent piano lead and guitar solo, with a solid bass line driving the rhythmn. That track would earn 5*, but the rest....small pockets of hope only.
on 13 April 2013
Instrumentally this is a good album, a major let down as far as I am concerned, are the vocals...particularly on the track "Free To Be stoned' which I found to be grating...I will be skipping that track each time I play the album . However the next Jazz flavoured, and longest track on the album "After Hours' makes up for this as it features excellent guitar and keyboard work. ..I just wish every track on the album was in the same vein.