• Stop!

Customer reviews

Stop!
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 August 2004
I bought this album because I love the track "Tea". It's only 40 seconds but the damn song has been in my head and I had to crumble and buy the album. It's excellent. Her range is great, the songs are neither pop nor country nor middle of the road, but timeless soul and blues. I first had this album on cassette back in 1990, but lost it. Now I have it again on CD, and it all comes rushing back. I love the irresistible angst of the eponymous track "Stop" and the infectiously catchy "Piece of My Luck". Strangely, even the sleeve design hasn't dated- I really love the black dress she wears in the sleeve notes. Also, just for good measure, the lyrics are there too just to help closet singalongaSam fans like me.
on 12 September 2017
This is one hell of a going album good listening music. She has one good voice
on 10 August 2017
Excellent product & Service, great album.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 August 2004
on 6 November 2015
Sam's a great singer and this is a lovely album that i've had for years but still play quite regulaly.And at this price its worth taking a punt...
on 10 April 2002
Originally released in 1988, Stop! is as good an introduction as any to the vocal talents of Ms. Brown (although it is not really representative of the more melancholy and acoustic evening you are likely to experience if you see her perform nowadays).
The smash-hit "Stop" is there, of course, along with fine interpretations of a couple of standards, "Can I Get A Witness" and "Nutbush City Limits". There is successful experimentation in a variety of musical styles. "Piece of My Luck", a mellow jazzy number, is a personal favourite of mine, and there is even humour in the mock-operatic "Tea".
Although the difficult to obtain "43 Minutes" album is, in the opinion of many fans, her finest work, the excellent "Stop!" is a good starting point for the beginner.
on 1 April 2000
Sam Brown is one of the greatest unsung (pun intended!) Divas that you will every come across. 'Stop' confirms this assessment 100%.
She combines a wonderful lyrical grip - men watch out! - together with a musical talent that means that the album rocks without every sinking into the depths of sentimentality.
Unfortunately my literary skills are no match for Ms Brown's musical ones. So I can't do justice to her brilliance.
Try it for yourself.
Chris Clark - April 2000
on 1 December 2008
Looks like I found Ms Brown along a different path from others here. A local pub singer sang Stop! one night and I couldn't remember who did it. The only place I knew Sam from was as one of Pink Floyds backing vocalists on The Pulse tour, where she did Clare Torry proud, and the Dave Gilmour Meltdown DVD (go get!!). Unfortunately I'm about 20yrs too late then, but believe me that makes no difference to the appreciation of this album. It's a timeless introduction to one of Britains best female vocalists, perhaps an English Maggie Bell!

Although it was Stop! that brought me to the album, I don't think it's the best track, maybe an easy 2nd. Premier moment for me is Ball and Chain, a superb syncopated funk track. Play it in the car, try to stop your head nodding :) I'm surprised none of my fellow commenteers seem to have rated it, and it was never released as a single.

Of the other singles, Walking Back To Me starts well reminding me of Noosha Foxx, but the chorus fits the verse like her clothes would fit me, and there's something 'plodding' about the whole thing. The other release, Can I get a Witness does better, nodding to Motown via The Commitments.

(Sir) David Gilmour is apparently a childhood friend (her childhood not his!) and is immediately apparent on two tracks, This Feeling and I'll be in Love, both dark and full of melodrama.

Other small points: It Makes Me Wonder is a line from Stairway to Heaven, and I couldn't help thinking of that magnum opus; The wondrous Tea is more Gilbert and Sullivan than opera.

At Amazons price (or any other actually) this album is an absolute must, you'll be sorry you didn't get it 20 years ago.
VINE VOICEon 6 February 2004
I bought this album when it was originally released, but now in a rereleased format with several more tracks it represents astonishing value for money. A cover of Nutbush shows that while she is not far off Tina Turner for range and raunchiness when in the mood.
Sam was in fine voice for these sessions (try the finale to Tea for size - pseudo operatic!), with the haunting Stop well worthy of its hit single status. Listen also for the jaunty Piece of my Luck and atmospherically charged I'll be in Love with a simple recurring piano playing a backdrop to Sam's bittersweet vocals.
on 10 April 2012
bought this on album,at a beautiful young age of about 17,and recently bought an updated version on cd,and even now,this album still kicks!,sam brown in my opinion is,and always will be the best british singer we have! with the inclusion of her late,and amazing singer/mother vicki brown who passed away far too young,father joe brown,david gilmour,danny thompson and the list goes on! time has not been unkined to this album,as even now,it has gone full circle to the point of being now as good as it was first time round! even as an intro to the work of sam brown would reccomend this to the highest level