Customer reviews

Hey Stoopid
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 November 2010
On the surface this is a very thin record. It has been written to the AOR/MOR template of American rock and strays little from this. It's verse/chorus/widdly-bit, repeat with very predictable lyrics and restrained musicians. It's cookie-cutter rock. In a way it is a logical progression from Trash. That was dirty rock and roll, this is the same only cleaned up and hit the gym. It is meatier and feels stronger - and is actually a better album of songs. But it is not Alice back to his best.

The title track is an ok start. It did pretty well in the charts and is remembered to a certain extent today. It thinks it's deep but it's not. It's just an alright song. 'Love's A Loaded Gun' is better, riffing off of Trash slightly, only far more shoe-gazingly heart-felt. 'Snakebite' is a classic in my eyes - an MOR classic but a classic nonetheless. It's catchy and has a great deep guitar sound. 'Burning Our Bed' is a power-ballad of sorts and is a nice little distraction until the next classic, 'Dangerous Tonight' storms into view. It's unabashed stadium rock but it's a great tune. 'I Might As Well Be On Mars' almost works but is far too long. It's another ballad that overstayed its welcome by 2 minutes.

'Feed My Frankenstein' may have been a single but it wasn't a very good one. Ok it was good, just not great. 'Hurricane Years' I like but it could have been far more interesting. 'Little By Little' is actually a great, catchy tune and one of the highlights here. And 'Die For You' is a pretty good ballad; it does what it does and does it well. 'Dirty Dreams' however is a song too far and is the only below average track on the album. It should have been removed, it wouldn't have hurt. The closer, 'Wind Up Toy' is brilliant for a couple of reasons. Firstly it sees the return of not only Steven, the fictional character from Welcome To My Nightmare, but also of Alice to the dark material. It actually doesn't feel like it should be on this album, which is a plus. The song is catchy and hard edged, with great lyrics and ends the album on a very off-kilter high. It was a taste of what was to come, as Alice's next album would embrace both the heavy rock and jaunty avant garde stylings of his early career. With mixed results, however, but at least it was a step in the right direction.

Not Stoopid, but no genius either.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2009
Two years after 1989's highly successful comeback with the Desmond Child produced 'Trash', Alice Cooper (after years of poor record sales up until the aforementioned album) released the much superior 'Hey Stoopid' (1991), a solid classic rock record from start to finish. The album should have definitely overshadowed the success of it's predecessor, because the songs on this record are better than anything on 'Trash'.

Prince of Darkness Ozzy Osbourne provides backing vocals to the album's brilliant opening track (and hit single) 'Hey Stoopid' and from there, every track that follows is excellent. The story-telling 'Love's a Loaded Gun' is my personal favourite but songs such as 'Might As Well Be On Mars',about unrequited love, 'Die For You', which I can relate to more than ever as I've grown up and left a string of bad relationships behind me, and 'Wind Up Toy', about a man who is rescinding a mental institution, are right up there with genuine Alice Cooper classics. You can still hear Desmond Child's unmistakable influence on this album, particularly on 'Dangerous Tonight', another highlight.

As well as Ozzy contributing his unique vocals, there are guest appearances dotted around from a variety of other talent, notably Slash, when he was still with 'Guns N' Roses (and a band who were making some of their very best music at the time), Vinnie Moore, and Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars, both of whom are from Motley Crew.

Over the years, I've almost played 'Hey Stoopid' to death, and it will always remain my favourite Alice Cooper album.
on 2 December 2016
In the 90's I had this and Trash on cassette, didn't like Alice Cooper's early stuff so my interest went no further. I've since found myself buying both albums again and working my way through Cooper's albums in no particular order. I used to think Trash was the superior album but I've changed my mind on that. Hey Stoopid! is a musical masterpiece.
on 19 April 2015
Probably my favourite Alice Cooper album, which goes against the trend I'm sure, but just my personal opinion, it's an album of his I've definitely listened to the most, it's worth checking out for the catchy tracks and hidden gems that appear on this album.

If all you've ever heard from this band is the track 'Poison' then all I ask of you is to give this album a listen and judge for yourself, as even without that track being on it, it's still a fantastic record
on 24 March 2016
Loved this cd. Had mixed reviews but I enjoyed all the tracks. One to take with me in the car when travelling.
on 4 December 2016
Alice never lets us down. Rock and quality.
on 2 July 2016
good as ever
on 31 May 2015
Excellent
on 29 June 2017
Really awesome CD from Alice Cooper. It rocks and I dig it.
on 29 September 2013
enjoyed playing my new cd which I purchased with amazon, also very happy with the service and will recommend amazon to all...c-stu