• Queen

Customer reviews

Queen
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 February 2014
I bought Queen I when it first came out and I was into science fantasy books like Michael Moorcock's Runestaff trilogy and Robert E. Howard's original and best Conan series. The tracks on this album just fitted those worlds beautifully. 'Keep Yourself Alive' has already been lauded, quite rightly, but my favourites are 'Liar' and 'Doing Alright'. Watch Queen performing 'Liar' on YouTube - it's classic stuff. Brian May isn't only learning his craft in these tracks, he's already there, in fact the whole band are and the opening of 'Liar' is a great stage for their talents.
The only downside of Queen I and II is the inclusion of tracks that don't fit the concept. These albums are dark and fantastic, Queen I's weak track is 'Modern Times Rock and Roll', for Queen II it's 'The Loser in the End'. Aside from those I would pick these albums way above the body of work coming in the later years. If you pine for or wish you were around in the 70s, the era of Dungeons and Dragons and science fantasy, then these albums will set the mood - castles, ogres, Queens, Faeries, hard driving rock with edge. You can't beat it.
on 9 June 2016
Solid and suitably hard-rocking debut from a band who, for me, reached their peak in the mid 1970s with superb albums such as 'Sheer Heart Attack' and 'A Night At the Opera'. The quality varies from brilliant to rather average on 'Queen' but there are some marvellous moments on tracks such as 'Keep Yourself Alive' and the lovely 'Son and Daughter' (both Brian May compositions) whilst Freddie Mercury displays early flamboyance on 'Great King Rat', 'My Fairy King' and the powerful 'Liar'. Well worth adding this to your collection of Queen releases in my opinion.
on 26 October 2017
One of the best Queen albums in my opinion, but then I am more of a fan of the earlier stuff.
Pompous, overblown and quite frankly full of itself.... Love it! 😆 😁
on 5 February 2018
Not a lot you can say here except its a Queen album and as such you know what to expect.
The difference with this album above their others its its their first and as such the best...in my opinion.
I recommend you get a copy and listen to it if you've never heard it before.
on 9 March 2017
This LP was as advertised. It's in very good condition and plays very well. Delighted with it. Great to hear these songs in vinyl format again.
on 19 July 2017
I last heard this album in the late 70s and I'd forgotten how good it was.

Queen II; Sheer Heart Attack and A Night at the Opera are supporters of the old Queen era's favorites but you shouldn't overlook this one.
on 21 August 2017
Queen first album not as commercial as the following albums. A raw album not to every ones taste but great if you like early Queen.
on 2 December 2016
For my dad to replace a tape I stole from him as a child (as it was so distorted it sounded terrible, but he loved it) this has been remastered so he should enjoy it more now,
on 9 May 2016
Had this on vinyl years ago, it's been great to hear it again. This is when Queen were "rockier" & more my kind of band. Love it! This album is 2nd only to Sheer Heart Attack in my opinion.
on 5 May 2017
Great album brings back a lot of memories