Customer reviews

Dreams Of Reason Produce Monsters
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 June 2011
Listening to this makes me wonder why Mick Karn never went into film soundtracks - he would have made a fortune, I'll bet. The Sylvian-voiced numbers on here are great, but MK's solo numbers are better and would have sounded great as the soundtrack to a thriller. Beautifully crafted, showing us his genuine, unique talent, a must for any fans not just of Japan but of good music.
7 people found this helpful
on 3 May 2014
Quite unlike any of his later work, this slow paced and sombre album concentrates on sad and beautiful melodies, carried by woodwind and simplicity, rather than the complicated rhythms and funky technical workouts he is most associated with. It's been a favorite of mine since I first heard it, one of the most cohesive albums by any of the ex-japan alumni. Perhaps not to be rated against David Sylvian's best (what can?), or Steve Jansen's remarkable "Slope" debut, the relative restraint shown by Karn makes this his album that most touches the heart rather than the head.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 October 2016
Love this album & this replaces my old tape version, its the third copy of this I've owned over the years. Karn's a loss.
One person found this helpful
on 22 January 2011
Mick was a brilliant fretless bass player but also brilliant with all the other instruments he mastered. A real talent!
The world will be a duller place without him.
I never tire of hearing his music - even 20 odd years on from the early stuff it still sounds brill!
Good old cancer takes another great man from us!
If my dad knew what a fretless bass was I'd hope Mick would be playing to him up in 'the great gig in the sky'
R.I.P. Pal.