Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 December 2012
I feel I have to write something in response to the more negative reviews here.

Yes £250 is expensive for a box set, but the thing you have to remember is that it didn't cost that much when it was a new release.

I pre-ordered all eight picture discs as soon as they became available on Amazon, and I received an email a few weeks later saying that I could cancel my order of the first two LPs and change it to this box with the albums inside. It cost £40.10, which was actually a couple of quid LESS than just the two LPs alone.

So, there's no rip-off here other than people trying to make a quick buck by selling a second-hand copy for a £200 profit. And that is nothing to do with the band or Amazon.

And yes, of course picture discs don't sound quite as good as black or coloured vinyl, but that's the nature of the beast (ha!).
on 15 October 2014
Reissued in October 2014 this reprint is a straight copy of the original 1980 release. Adding a new barcode and a Internet address to the artwork. For me the new print in better quality but not by too much. Better printing techniques and higher resolution is most likely why it seems sharper. But the sleeve is also better quality cardboard, tougher and more durable. The print labels do look darker on this edition, not sure if it is a fault on production line but it is no real problem.
Printed from original masters (this is not the 1998 re master) on 180g black vinyl the album looks nice and new and glossy.
Now the sound, yes it is good and I think a nice like for like transfer. The band always were less positive on the first albums production but for me I love it. The drums sound great as do the guitars but for me the vocals was always the first albums plus point. Paul still sounds great and the feel is there. Turning the volume up and that bite the band always had is still there. Phantom of the Opera sounds terrific.
Like me if you want to replace those loved old vinyl albums then now is the time.
on 18 February 2013
What i love about this Iron Maiden Album is the the total rawness of it all.
Every Track is absolutely Brilliant and Paul Di Anno adds a raw edge to every track.
Prowler is absolutely excellent and the guitar work on Transylvania is also unbelievable.
This was very early days and Iron Maidens Debut but WHAT A DEBUT!!!!.
I know Steve Harris has gone on record to say that the production on this could have been better but i totally disagree as this is Iron Maiden at there very best and totally RAW!!!!.
Every Heavy Metal or Rock Band has a stand out classic such as Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
But i believe and still believe today that the Track "Phantom of the Opera" should join those Classics as it has to be one the very best Heavy Metal Tracks of all time as the Guitar Work and Musicianship and interchanges are on a different level even with today's standards.
I would say the best Debut Heavy Metal Album of all time.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2012
Five stars is for the music that contains, the picture disc is beautiful, and contains liner notes and photographs that don't have the original album, I recommend this product to all people that love Maiden and to the people that never listened this band, this eight albums for me are the best of the band ever. I think that Iron Maiden gonna be the second part of this with the last albums of the band and it wanna be cool that do someday one box for the singles and for the singles in format cd vinyl replica.
on 6 November 2012
Ok People,

I refuse to buy this Box. What are we talking 150 by itself, 250 with the first two CLASSIC albums in it.
What the hell is going on? You all know the band the songs and the excellent art work, and you buy it again, WHY?

I have been an avid Maiden fan since 1981, I have various LP's CD's and collections, and loads of so called rarities'. These are mine to keep, but the vinyl I don't play...as it special!

I have purchased the first two picture discs from this new "collection". I cut the plastic just to see the disk, it nothing special, normal and lightweight vinyl in a gatefold sleeve (of which I have not opened). And above all I know like 99.9% of you...it will never be played, I have to ask Why?

Perhaps EMI looking for something but I don't know, all I know is the whole thing disappoints me.
After all we have had CD collections, And other vinyl Collections, we do not need another! Unless it is special. And this is not!

This collection could have been done so much better and with the cardboard box to, a double heavy weight picture disc album in gatefold sleeve for each MONUMENTAL musical achievement, with the B sides and live tracks.
I think I have to leave it up to you, the whole thing is going mad. And I have to say I expected better for Maiden. I will shot off before i say something I regret.

All I need from Maiden, is a new chuffing album!
Just to say, I think the new British Lion album is first class!

All the best Maidenites,

Edd.
on 7 January 2011
I first bought this album nearly 30 years ago and it sounds just as good today as it did then. Maiden have released some good albums over the years but in my opinion none of them better this. I can't understand the argument that Bruce Dickinson is a better vocalist than Paul Di'anno, a more commercial sounding voice maybe but I'll always regret the day Paul left the band. Fantastic album!
on 3 November 2012
I was delighted with my box and first two albums, a real bargain considering the stupid prices already fetching on ebay etc.
Like others I will probably never play them as I have the original vinyl albums but for the collection its great. Look forward to completing the set but wonder why the first four are around £20 and then the others are £28?! I can understand Live After Death being a double but the not others.
on 3 March 2013
I pre-ordered every single Limited edition Iron Maiden picture disc LP including the box, and damn its really awesome, My LPs are still sealed up in the plastic wrapping never to be opened, nor will they ever be sold, they'll remain with the rest of my Iron Maiden collection. And in years be worth hell of a lot, but like I say I'll never sell them, to me now with the boxset they're priceless lol. :-)
on 16 October 2012
I was waiting years for quality pressings of the 80s albums.I was really pissed off when the picture disc collection was announced because if previous releases such as pressings of the final frontier and A matter of life and death were to go by this series was going to sound rubbish.To be honest so far they sound good with little distraction and surface noise.This will be a nice collection to have.Please release every album on HQ vinyl soon.This band is forgetting that fans of maiden are longing for HQ pressings.
99 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2014
In my opinion this classic is a five stars album because everything that you want in a heavy metal album you right find in iron maiden's debut album.
It was record late 1979 and released in 1980 and iron maiden was a young NWBHM band and this album put them definitively on heavy rock scene.
I don't want to talk about each song 'cause all of them are very very important to iron maiden's history.
If I was you I'll get one right now.
Pictured Disc release have gate fold sleeve and 2 different scary pictures each side.
Beautiful