Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 July 2017
I have always loved Songs of Distant Earth, and hearing it on vinyl for the first time in decades was very special. The recording quality is very good, and the record is nice and heavy. The printing on the cover is slightly pixelated - I'm not sure if it was like that on the original 1994 covers, but I buy records to listen to, not to look at.

Musically, this is, in my opinion, one of MO's best albums. Some of his other albums are great, but then it gets spoiled by a sudden burst of frivolity, much like some of Mozart's music. Songs of Distant Earth, however, has a very nice, steady character - not too serious and heavy, not too light and cheerful. Apart from being true listening music (i.e. that's all one does - sit with a glass of something and enjoy the music) it also makes nice evening/ background/ candle-lit dinner music.
on 12 July 2015
Fabulous album. Spotted this by chance when browsing the Arthur C Clarke book of the same name. Decide to buy it and I can vouch if you have the book and you enjoyed it, then you will love this album.

Mike Oldfield has obviously read the book and this music is so reminiscent of the story I now find I need to read the book again after all these years.

One of my fav albums now.
on 16 January 2015
This is a very underrated album but it's my favourite album by Mike Oldfield - after Tubular Bells II.
on 17 June 2017
not my cup of tea sorry
on 4 July 2017
Very good.
on 11 August 2011
Just to say, if you are looking for a good listen. and even don't really care who by...then definitely place this one in your cart... tuneful and well produced, instruments spaced out, nice stereo effect. Even my girlfriend likes it, what more can I say.. Turn the lighting down and enjoy.
on 9 August 2017
great
I was so pleased to find a new CD (well to me anyway) of Mike Oldfield music. He has to rank among the top musicians and I love his music.
on 25 June 2017
Ambient Tastic. Great stuff.
on 22 June 2017
One of Mike Oldfields best...