Customer reviews

Merry Christmas
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 September 2017
Very nice ready for Xmas.
on 5 June 2017
very pleased with the CD
on 13 February 2015
Great CD for over the Christmas Holidays.
on 14 June 2017
FAB
on 9 January 2013
Enjoyed this album. Mariah vocal arrangements, songs, backing singers. Made it what it was. A good album to be played traditionally at christmas.
on 23 October 2015
When it comes to classic festive albums, Mariah Carey's 1994 "Merry Christmas" is the first that comes to mind. There you have a wonderful collection of festive classics, as well as some new (well, they were new in 1994!) cuts, beautifully executed and presented in new old-fashioned style, with Mariah's gorgeous voice proving to be the perfect instrument for those trademark ballads she is best loved for, as well as for traditional numbers. "All I want for Christmas is you" is a true Christmas classic, arguably one of the most Christmas-associated festive songs ever. But, "O Holy Night", is also spectacular, just like her fittingly subdued version of "Silent Night", and the melancholic "Miss you most (At Christmas time)". Many artists have subsequently presented festive albums, however, Mariah's cheerful, jolly, a little melancholic too, poppy vibe is a guaranteed winner. 21 years on, this classic Christmas collection, gets a deluxe vinyl treatment. I am not a vinyl collector, but I had to get this, being my most favourite Christmas album of all (I have purchased tens of copies through the years, for myself and for gifts, in various editions and formats). Now with the red vinyl which looks fantastic, this edition replicates the CD album design, a most tasteful and beautifully assembled package inside-out. Only complaint, I just wish this new edition featured some extra songs. Sadly, there is no dowload card included either. But that is not to make anyone think twice about buying. In fact, I am going to order a few more copies for this year's gifts! Merry Christmas, everyone, 'tis the season to be jolly!
review image review image
on 23 November 2014
There is one Christmas album that I keep buying religiously every year for the seasonal gifts. Yes, that is Mariah Carey's "Merry Christmas". Cheerful, jolly, a little melancholic too, beautifully assembled inside-out, a perfect package. Although her second attempt with "Merry Christmas II you" failed to excite me as much, Mariah's poppy vibe on her first holiday album is a guaranteed winner. There you have a wonderful collection of festive classics as well as some new cuts (that are 20 years old by now!), all wonderfully executed and presented in new old-fashioned style. Mariah's voice is a perfect instrument suitable for those trademark ballads she is best loved for, as well as for traditional numbers. Single "All I want for Christmas is you" is a true Christmas classic, only topped by Wham's "Last Christmas", which is arguably the most Christmas-associated festive song. Mariah's version of "O Holy Night", is also spectacular, just like her fittingly subdued version of "Silent Night", and the melancholic, newly-penned at the time "Miss you most (At Christmas time)". Many artists have subsequently presented festive albums, however, Mariah's gorgeous collection of religious and secular songs remains unsurpassed. The DualDisc edition of the album, especially, which includes a bonus disc of videos (music, animated, and live) is the ultimate package to own. Right then, time to order a few more copies! Merry Christmas, everyone, 'tis the season to be jolly!

Tracklisting:

CD side

1. Silent Night
2. All I want for Christmas is you
3. O Holy Night
4. Christmas (Baby please come home)
5. Miss you most (At Christmas time)
6. Joy to the world
7. Jesus born on this day
8. Santa Claus is comin' to town
9. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/Gloria (In Excelsis Dea)
10. Jesus oh what a wonderful child
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen*
12. Santa Claus is comin' to town (Anniversary mix)*

* bonus audio tracks

DVD side

1. Santa Claus is coming to town (Anniversary mix animated)
2. All I want for Christmas is you
3. Miss you most (At Christmas time)
4. All I want for Christmas is you (JD remix animated)
5. Joy to the world (Celebration mix video)
6. O Holy Night
7. All I want for Christmas is you (Black & white video version)
8. Joy to the world (Live at St. John The Divine)
9. All 12 songs in enhanced PCM stereo
review image review image
on 9 January 2016
it's a must have Christmas album whether you like Mariah Carey or not. Her high pitched 'Holy Night' and jazzy 'All I want for Christmas is you' have become classic songs that can be heard everywhere during the Christmas season.
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2005
Few commercial Christmas albums really appeal to me - too many of them mangle the traditional classics I love, especially the hymns, with all sorts of fancy modern sounds that ring hollow to my ears, and, loving the traditional songs so much, few modern Christmas tunes manage to win me over. Ten years after its release, though, Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas CD remains a perennial Christmas favorite of mine. Mariah's vocal talent puts her head and shoulders above every female vocalist out there, and she injects true feeling and spirit into every song she sings. On this album, she combines the new with the old, making this a Christmas CD that almost everyone can love.
Like many, I was drawn to this CD after hearing the song All I Want For Christmas Is You; I believe it's the best secular Christmas song since Elvis' Blue Christmas. I had to buy the album for this one song alone, but I was also very anxious to hear what Mariah would do with traditional hymns such as Oh Holy Night - my pick for the greatest Christmas song ever written. Many a soprano shies away from truly hitting the high notes at the end of Oh Holy Night, and given Mariah's vocal range, I felt confident she would do the song justice. I was right, as this is one of the best versions of Oh Holy Night I've ever heard. Mariah's voice is equally angelic on Joy to the World, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and a properly subdued Silent Night. Jesus Oh What A Wonderful Child is a song I was less familiar with, but it makes for a stunning conclusion to an album that does pay real heed to the reason for the season.
Besides All I Want For Christmas Is You, Mariah co-wrote two other songs on the album: Miss You Most (At Christmas Time) and Jesus Born on This Day. The latter is an especially beautiful song that expresses the true meaning of Christmas. She also throws in an exceedingly fun version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town (and, thankfully, I can now think of Mariah rather than Bruce Springsteen whenever I hear this song). The perfect complement to All I Want For Christmas Is You, though, is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).
Put it all together and you have a true modern Christmas classic featuring a wonderful mix of religious and secular songs that radiate both the fun as well as the serious aspects of the Christmas season. Anyone who loves Christmas - and Christmas music in particular - really should make this CD an annual part of his/her holiday celebration.
on 23 October 2015
Finally the best Christmas album has been reissued on Vinyl. Amazing album and looks ace on Red Vinyl and plays well too. Just hope that they reissue her other albums on vinyl
review image
33 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse