on 9 October 2017
Excellent but bought for someone else.
on 2 November 2010
Having always loved Wham! but never really listened to Georges' solo stuff, I have decided to go and buy all his albums. This is the second CD of George's I have listened to, the first being Patience. I do prefer this one to Patience, much more upbeat and varied.

George, as usual, sings perfectly & beautifully with my favs being Praying For Time, Something To Save, Waiting For That Day, not too sure on They Won't Go When I Go though but that is just my opinion.

The only pictures in the booklet is one of George on the inside back cover but there are lyrics to all the songs which is a good thing.
on 10 October 2017
Just brilliant
on 16 August 2017
Very good I think this is his best album.
on 24 June 2005
This album is a masterpiece! From the energetic upbeat Freedom! '90 to the musically enchanting They Won't Go When I Go, or the musical wizardry of praying for time there isn't a bad track to be found. George Michael really has come of age with this album. The Lyrics are as fine as you'll find, with the words of praying for time in a league of their own. Whether you want to join in with George in the singing of something to save, or if you want to be drawn almost hypnotically away by mothers pride there is something for everyone. Buy this album.
on 14 March 2017
George Michael what can you say LEGEND....... love the album
on 7 April 2017
A classic album that I used to listen to 20 years ago. Not a bad track on there.
on 22 March 2006
If like me you have kind of always floated around the outskirts of GM then I would recommend this album as a stern follow up to Faith.
Yes Faith is pop but the melodies are strong and you really need that in your mind when you take on this album.
Firstly this album is GREAT - it is full of different layerings of songs and melodies that just stick in your head all day.
It took me a while to get this album but actually the maturity in just 3 yrs is fabulous. You should also discount the chart placings - the low charting singles was because George was sabotaging his own career in a way - not appearing in videos, having no text on his singles or having text and no pic.
Anyway his artistic views kind of covered the value of the songs and speaking of the songs:
1) PRAYING FOR TIME 5/5 what a cracker of a song - the tip of the iceberg really - if you get this song you will get the album. It is a crashing ballad about opening our eyes to the world. UK #8 - 1st single (B-Side: If You Were My Woman).
2) FREEDOM 5/5 THE song that got me into this album - it was the only song I considered from this album as being worthy for a long time before the rest grew on me. About reflecting on the Wham days. UK #28 - 3rd single.
3)THEY WON'T GO WHEN I GO 4/5 A broody ballad his voice is faultless on this - I love his rendition of this classic, he really shows that he can apply his voice to anything. I just marked it down because it is not a GM composition.
4)SOMETHING TO SAVE 5/5 A cheeky little track in my opinion - acoustic guitar driven pop very upbeat and well just nice (love his high voice around 2:40 over the strings). Seems to deal with not communicating in a relationship. B-Side to Cowboys & Angels UK #45 - 5th Single.
6)COWBOYS & ANGELS 5/5 WOW what a strumpy, swinging piece of jazz this is. Carries itself so well. It is a grower you just need to keep putting it on because it has its melody. I can't describe it is genius at 7mins. UK #45 - 5th Single.
7)WAITING FOR THAT DAY 5/5 Oh yeah THAT song - the song of the album most say and yes it is a clever song by not having much about it but a hook of a line in "My memory serves me far too well". The line "and if these wounds are self inflicted" always sticks in my head. I think this is spliting up and trying to find another woman but having the memory there all the time - not able to move on. UK #23 - 2nd Single (B-side: Fantasy (found on the Best of....such a great song!)).
8)MOTHERS PRIDE 5/5 A soft and tense piano ballad. I feel the emotion in this one. Stark with a panpipe that shouldn't work but does. All about sending a boy off to war....very poignant. Could get boring but its on 4mins which is its saving grace. B-Side to Freedom UK #28 - 3rd Single.
9)HEAL THE PAIN 5/5 Great great great - he gets it spot on here. Clever pop and I really appreciate it - the hook here for me is "how can I help you, please let me try to" the lyrics fit the melody so well. This guy is a genius with this song. UK #31 - 4th Single.
10)SOUL FREE 5/5 The oddest track for me. That piano sounds dated here and very early 90's but it works and the song is strong - great vocal range expressed here. It seems this song does signal the arrival of Too Funky. B-Side to Heal The Pain - UK #31 - 4th Single.
11)WAITING (REPRISE) 5/5 This track is needed - it provides great closure after Soul Free tails off a bit. Follows on with the melody of Waiting for that Day a bit. I think it is George asking for people to look again at him. B-Side to Praying For Time - UK #8 - 1st Single.
Knowing that there was a plan for LWP Vol.2 of more dancey songs planned for the following June (91) makes Freedom and Soul Free seem out of place - but thank god they got on here because the album needs them. I would have liked "Fantasy" on here and "They Won't Go When I Go" off cause its a non GM track.
BUT this is one of the most complete continuously good George albums and LOOK 9 out of 11 of the tracks appeared on the CD singles from this album showing just how strong it was (plus I guess George didn't want old Faith tracks or live performances appearing except Father Figure/Kissing A Fool (the most mature of Faith) on WFTD).
Final words
Get this album - put it on and wonder what GM must have gone through between 1987-1990 - the man has had so much struggle and vented it delightfully through an amazing album
I WISH he had never wrangled with Sony this album would have been HUGE!!
on 27 September 2008
fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! older and this one are both fantastic and the cover of stevie wonders you wont go when i go is fantastic stevie wonder need i say anymore what a singer and songwriter!! buy this and older fantastic albums!!
on 27 December 2016
Just listened to Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 in full again for the first time in about 10 years. It's fiercely hypnotic. Stopped what I was doing, sat at the screen curiously staring at the sparse album cover, taking each lyric in, trying to deconstruct each feeling he purveyed. Even though each track sits in it's own space of Folk, Funk, Jazz, Orchestral, Operatic, Bossa Nova, World music, Reggae (in that order - which is a feat in itself considering it's a relatively short album)... everything is meticulously placed and strangely glued together by George's highly reverbed voice cosmically echoing over the music. Found myself feeling rather melancholic and almost shedding a tear at Mothers Pride, the topic of which I have no connection to at all in my own life, but the way the song is delivered is so heartfelt and demanding of attention, I could not resist being drawn into it - yet the juxtapose is that it swirls around in the air like a grandiose piece of Debussy.
So much emotion in this album. The album that followed had the sublime "Jesus to a Child", which when listened to in context of his own life/loss is masterful and untouchable; but as a whole piece, Listen Without Prejudice is the album that in my eyes solidified George's place as one of the most talented singer songwriters I'd ever heard. Just had to share that, felt right; the songs justify.