Customer reviews

Wild Things Run Fast
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 March 2012
Wild Things Run Fast is such an underrated album in the Joni Mitchell catalogue. It rocks, it swings, it grooves, and more importantly the songwriting is still there. Lyrically she's at the very top of her game, with 'Moon At The Window' being possibly the greatest (and truest) rumination on love to every appear in popular music. Others such as 'Chinese Cafe' are just impossibly nostalgic and wistful.

Those aside, the songs are either fun rockers that she pulls off surprisingly well (Wild Things Run Fast, You're So Square) or lyrical, melodic masterpieces about love and heartbreak and living (Love, Man To Man). Stuff like 'Be Cool' makes you move and groove in the way little else in her catalogue does, and this record on the whole displays her immense versatility, with various styles tackled to brilliant affect, jazzy touches adding to a lot of the tracks. Further props must go to the band, who are incredibly tight (Larry Kelin on bass especially), and the production which has aged amazingly well for an early 80s album.

This is unlike anything else in her catalogue in sound and style, and just as essential as 'Blue', 'Hejira' or 'Court and Spark'.
on 12 September 2017
Anything by Joni Mitchell is good by me. Be even better if the person who stole it from me would return it !!!!
on 4 March 2014
As ood as i remembered this album..simple and melodic with lots of variety in the tunes and lyrics. Brilliant album by a legend!
on 14 August 2013
haven't stopped playing it since I bought it - fantastic! Joni singing some Jazz - we need more of it!
on 9 June 2015
I have loved this album for many years. The tape I had is now useless and I've bought this as a replacement. Every song is a gem.
on 13 June 2015
Superb !
on 26 February 2015
so pleased to have obtained this album.
on 6 June 2012
I used to have this album which I bought when it first cane out. I have been meaning to replace it with a CD for a long time and am very pleased I have done so now.
on 16 July 2001
I was bowled over by this album when it first came out. I got to know her through her early albums, which often tend towards painful introspection. For me later albums produced a variety of hits and misses. Wild Things Run Fast captures the joyfulness of Big Yellow Taxi, but shows the jazz influence of the Mingus album. It has all the introspection you expect but it's more upbeat in tone and tempo. She was obviously happy when she wrote these songs and it shows.
on 3 December 2015
I think I prefer her earlier music.