Customer reviews

The Dude
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 August 2017
Although quality viny,l even after cleaning on a mechanical record cleaner still loads of surface noise. Expected better
on 11 April 2017
This is the record of Quincy. I guess this was the period that Mr. Jones was keen to build catching rhythm for him and a for lot of others as well.
on 31 July 2017
Awesome tracks on this Quincy offering. Love James Ingram and Patti Austin.
on 1 May 2017
classic
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 March 2011
Back in the day when these great tracks, such as 'Razzamatazz' were gracing the airwaves, often Radio One's Top 40, I was fully immersed in synth pop or prog rock, aware that such great music was out there, but just not buying it.

It's only recently that I've got to buy and finally appreciate such gems. With Quincy being not only a supremely gifted and modest man but whose influence has become legendary. The mastery of his instrumentation and arranging and production makes masterpieces out of already good songs. The opening fade-in of the first track, Ai No Corrida is so spatial and inviting that it sets a really inviting and optimistic feel about the whole collection.

This is the Maestro at his best. Dude.
on 9 July 2006
Basically with the same team that gave us Give Me The Night and Off The Wall this is a standout in several simultaneous areas which makes the entirerty such a great album: the songwriting from Rod Temperton; the session guys have from Off The Wall who all got their own jazz fusion contracts/careers; Quincys production and an amazing array of vocaltalent interpreting the songs. To some this might sound a bit overproduced - I can understand that, but for anyone growing up at the time this came out and listened to it then, this was as good as it got.

Sublime arrangements, not a bad track on the album. If I had to pick my favourites I would choose Velas, Ai No Corrida & Something Special, but really you can't go wrong.

At £6.00 - Snap this up!!
on 30 July 2007
This album takes me back to pre exams, my dad bought it for me and my friend and I played it all summer long when the sun shone in summer holidays! Am I getting old. 'Betcha wouldn't hurt me' did not get very far, but listen to the words, '100 Ways' is just lovely and we can all dance and sing to 'razzamatazz' and 'Ai no corrida'. Smooth album witha bit of Jazz I have to say it is one of my favourites but that maybe because I associate with happy memories, so why not buy it close your eyes and share with me. QJ wrote and produced for the old Michael Jackson when he was recognisable! My favourite is 'JUST ONCE' If you liked 'Off the Wall' you'll love this, even though not as fast. The guy's a genius...just buy it!!!
on 26 November 1999
A great album for those who liked Michael Jackson's album 'Off The Wall' and are curious about producer Quincy Jones' own material. 'Ai No Corrida' gets the feet tapping, 'The Dude' is a sort-of jazz/rap crossover, whilst 'Just Once' is a ballad about a relationship that keeps going wrong, with a memorable vocal performance by James Ingram. 'Betcha Wouldn't Hurt Me' is from the pen of Stevie Wonder, and sung by Patti Austin. Among the more mellow tracks are the Ingram-sung 'One Hundred Ways' and a lovely harmonica-led instumental, 'Velas'. This is an album that has a track for almost every mood that a person can be in, and the musicianship and guest vocals are of the highest order.
on 9 August 2010
Good feel good music to listen to whilst driving to work to put you on a high for the rest of the day! Love Quincy Jones!
on 18 March 2014
I bought this as this 'project' is the bridge between Michael Jacksons 'Off the Wall' and world best seller 'Thriller' album. Quincy produced both Michaels Jackson albums but 'The Dude' album appears to be where Quincy honed many of the techniques which when sprinkled with Michaels Jacksons magic dust, made Thriller the worlds biggest selling album of all time ever, selling over 110 million albums. Second place is currently 60 million albums behind and is held by AC/DC (random), as I said I am a completest. This is a must own piece of music history