Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 July 2004
This CD is a wonderful collection of great Journey songs. The one I received has fifteen songs, which includes everything on the list above, plus Who's Crying Now. The sound quality is excellent, and plays fantastically in my headphones. The paperwork in the case folds out to a small poster with the words to the songs on one side, and color pictures of the band and albums on the other. This is a great CD, with great songs. I highly recommend it!
on 20 June 2011
I collect and listen to albums lot more than greatest hits, best of, very best of, collection CDs from any band. Half the songs in such compilations are never my favourites. I'm album-oriented listener. There's a whole lotta joy listening to music holding the CD cover in hand going through lyrics, infos, arts and photos. That way I can imagine and get the whole picture of the album, the band and their music, message and philosophy.

But this Journey's Greatest Hits is different. I never listened to any album by Journey in the 80's. 80's being great era of rock 'n' roll when it ruled. I got introduced to Journey with this 'Greatest Hits'. Since I am hooked to it and I feel it's one of the great rock album ever made rather than compilations. I became a great fan of Journey. I was not new to Steve Perry though. I loved his voice in 'If Only For The Moment Girl' from 'USA for Africa', and 'Oh Sherrie' and 'Foolish Heart' from 'Street Talk'.

Steve Perry's voice and Neal Schon's guitar are what make Journey distinctive I think. That's why maybe, after Steve Perry, the band always sought for singer whose voice sounds similar to Steve's. Steve Augeri, Arnel Pinada and etc. But in my opinion, despite all being great singers, no one could top Steve Perry. He has the originality. I wish Mr. Perry would come back.

I recently attended Journey concert together with other great bands Foreigner and Styx. The current singer Arnel Pinada is of course talented, wonderful and powerful. The band did two albums with him - 'Revelation' and 'Eclipse'. Both great albums. But most of the songs they performed were from here. All the songs that you need to know about Journey are here in this Greatest Hits. This album is what Journey is all about. This album has been what Journey means to me. These are the songs that defined Journey. The journey of Journey.
on 19 November 2000
I heard' Don't Stop Believin' and it blew me away. So I bought this album and guess what? It blew me away too. Journey are one of the finest bands ever. Brilliant musicianship, excellent songwriting, and Steve Perry's voice has to be the most amazing ever. This is a truly great compilation and is guaranteed not to disappoint.
This is one of the better places to go to start listening to the music of Journey. You get a good selection of tracks, which covers their most well known songs and a few others for good measure. The booklet folds out into a poster and the artwork is great. From tracks like 'Don't stop believing' to 'Who's crying now' you know you're on familiar ground and if you like 70's and 80's rock you can't really go wrong. If you want an introduction to this classic rock band then this is the place to go.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 29 January 2002
This is a really great compilation of one of America's very finest bands. There's not a bad song on the whole collection (most are brilliant) and Steve Perry's vocal performances from the first track to the last are truly awesome. Is his voice the finest in the history of rock music? Gets my vote anyway.
on 4 January 2010
I think that this must be the most amazing greatest hits collection I have ever come across!
' Don't stop believing ' had been one of my most favourite tracks forever but I'd never encountered anything else by Journey that was until I stumbled upon this. There are no dud songs just total entertainment throughout. I first played it driving cross country and for once did't care less about traffic jams- I just wanted to hear the next track!! A must buy for anyone out there. One play and you'll be asking Bon Jovi who?!!!
on 9 August 2016
If you ask the majority of people about the Melodic Rock band Journey, you would likely get three answers: the soaring vocals of Steve Perry, the fluid, melodic guitar lines of Neal Schon and, of course, "Don't Stop Believin'", one of the greatest rock songs ever made. And while all three of those things are true about Journey, many fans of the band would know that they are more than that. Thankfully, their 1988 "Greatest Hits" CD is a testament to what fans of the band have known all along and has enough gusto and most importantly, great songs, to back them up.

The compilation benefits most from a great selection of songs. While I'm sure a number of fans are let down by the lack of tracks from their jazz-rock period before the arrival of Steve Perry, since I am not a huge fan of that era it was hardly a nitpick for me (but this is subjective of course). The selections come from 1978's "Infinity" (the anthemic "Wheel in the Sky" and the tribute to the band's hometown San Francisco "Lights"), 1979's "Evolution" (the sing-a-long anthem and often closing song of their concerts "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"), 1980's "Departure" (the hard-rocking "Any Way You Want It"), 1981's mega-hit "Escape" (the power ballads "Who's Crying Now" and "Open Arms", and, of course, "Don't Stop Believin'"), 1983's follow-up "Frontiers" (the anthemic and soaring "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", the ballad "Send Her My Love" and the wedding song favourite "Faithfully") and 1986's divisive (if for me, personally underrated) "Raised on Radio" (the more mellow sounding "I'll Be Alright Without You" and "Girl Can't Help It", plus the Melodic Rock finale of the album, "Be Good To Yourself"), plus two songs from the soundtracks of two 80's films, 1983's "Ask The Lonely" (from "Twist of Fate") and 1985's "Only The Young" (from "Vision Quest"/"Crazy for You", depending on where you lived). Each of these songs are well selected and show the consistency that Journey had following the arrival of Steve Perry, as well as how their sound evolved to the more-poppy sounding material on "Raised on Radio".

The only personal nitpick from me is what was left off the greatest hits. Like any compilation band from a band you really like, there will be many favourite songs of yours' that don't make the final track list at the end of the day, and this CD is no exception. Whether it be "Stone in Love", "Still They Ride", "Escape", "Mother, Father", "Suzanne", "The Eyes of a Woman", "Too Late" or "Line of Fire", many of these songs, while not "Greatest Hits" as the title suggests, would have made very fine additions to the compilation. However, I appreciate that this is both a personal nitpick and that indeed, many of the songs I listed are available on 2011's "Greatest Hits 2" compilation, another fine CD from the band for those interested.

Ultimately, if you want to see what else Journey did besides one of the most famous rock songs ever made, and see just how great Steve Perry, Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Ross Valory, Jonathan Cain, Gregg Rolie and others were when they were at their peak popularity and creativity, then look no further than either this or 2011's "Greatest Hits 2". Highly recommended.
on 6 September 2010
This album is fantastic, I have never owned a Journey album before this, had heard quite a few of their tracks, but I am so pleased I bought it, its just fab can listen to it anytime now loaded onto ipod. Fantastic
on 3 January 2016
One of the strongest hits collections ever assembled, this is a superb selection of supreme tracks by a band whose phenomenal musical output surely puts them up there with the best rock bands of all time. Steve Perry's singing is unsurpassed in the annals of popular music, and it could justifiably be argued that only a handful of other vocalists have reached his astonishing level. Perry turns each and every song into an event. Despite the soaring qualities of his voice, he avoids over-playing it and doesn't need to resort to histrionics to blow the listener away. As it that's not enough, we then have the guitar work of Neal Schon, a veritable maestro who makes his each and every contribution a telling one. And then there are the songs themselves: timeless, priceless works of art, ranging from touching ballads to all-out rock, with not a dull moment in between. Many are familiar with the perenially acclaimed "Don't Stop Believin'", a thrilling example of a top band at its best. But you will find many more nuggets of gold here: "The Girl Can't Help It" is a smooth AOR blockbuster with fantastic harmonies, and a lesson in how a rousing chorus can be achieved with just a few musical notes; "Wheel in the Sky" is a grower, requiring a handful of listens before hitting home with a vengeance; and "Open Arms" is a beautiful ballad, and another example of Steve Perry's ability to interpret a song in a way which leaves no room for improvement. Amazon are offering this CD for a paltry penny short of six quid - and with a free MP3 version thrown in, this represents top-notch value for money. There is no filler on this album: you get 15 brilliant tracks, courtesy of one of the best bands around.
on 7 December 2009
One of the most surprisingly brilliant albums in my collection. If you've searched for this then you probably know a little bit about 80's rock, which means you'll love this album. There are rumours that the X-Factor winner will cover `Don't Stop Believing' to try and get the Christmas number one slot - so all the more reason to buy the original and educate the yoof!