Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 September 2010
Kansas were one of those bands it was fashionable to criticise back in the day. 'Carry on Wayward Son' apart, they didn't get a whole lot of airplay in the UK. Previous reviewers have criticised certain tracks on this album. In my view this is due to the band's longevity and so everyone has their favourite Kansas era. Mine is the late 70s! For a band whose output spans 35 years and counting, it is hard to pick just 10 tracks. This came out in 1985 if memory serves and is a decent representation of their output up to that point. That the band can perform Prog, AOR and what some deem to be 'poppy' songs with equal aplomb and different band line-ups is testament to their versatility on a number of levels. As someone who loved ELO in the 70s it was refreshing to find a band that used their violinist, Robby Steinhardt, to drive songs rather than as accompaniment. Listen to 'Dust in the Wind' to see what I mean. For me personal favourites here are the aforementioned 'Dust in the Wind', 'Song for America' and 'Play the Game Tonight', as well as the epic 'Carry on Wayward Son'.

Recommended as a taster for new listeners before you hit the back catalogue.
on 1 January 2013
This is a great CD as a start point for someone who is looking to find out what Kansas were or are about but please look a bit further that "wayward son & Dust" There is much much more to this band than these tracks, elsewhere on Amazon you can pick up almost their entire recorded output for £30
Wheatheads (Kansas lovers) all have their fav period, mine seems to be from 1971 through to 2013 and counting!!!

This band in my humble opinion are the finest band America has produced bar none.

Richie.
South Wales.
on 5 December 2012
Ladies and Gentlemen. The best album I have bought since the 70's. Clever joyous sumptuous melodic music. Love the violins
on 26 November 2013
I have never followed Kansas in their hay day, I bought the disc for the track, "Dust In The Wind" but found all the tracks worth listening to. I brings back good memories of a time in music where a lot of bands were really good. I wonder how many of todays groups will be listened to in 20 or so years time. Worth buying this disc for all their hit records.
on 22 October 2012
Most people who have reviewed this album are not Kansas fans but people who only know Carry On Wayward Son and Dust In The Wind Don't be put off by the whining of others Kansas were a great progressive / AOR band and this is a good introduction to their work. If i were you i'd skip this and buy the albums , start with Song For America and Masque and go from there. If you do choose this it's a good introduction to a great band. What is wrong with these people ???
on 2 June 2013
After coming across 'Carry On My Wayward Son' on youtube I HAD to buy a best of album from the band Kansas. Little did I know it was chuck full of amazing songs and classics. And also the emotional, and almost philosophic classic 'Dust In The Wind'.

Great album with a very unique songs. Great addition to a rock/metal album collection!
on 3 October 2001
The harmonious and beautifully arranged 'The Wall' is one of the highlights, a composition you can't help falling for, quite immediately. And there's the classic 'Song For America' which barely needs further presentation - a must-hear.
Another highlight, of course, is the beautiful ballad 'Dust In The Wind' which, however, could have been from any band. Still, its presence on 'Best Of' is highly justified, since it is one of the best of its genre from Kansas.
A song like the opening 'Carry On Wayward Son' is more straight forward, on the edge between prog rock and rock'n'roll - and yet, its arrangement, the guitars, the drums, the piano, are very typical for the Kansas sound.
'Play The Game Tonight' is a typical 1980s song on which the band sounds very much like Foreigner or Asia. That one is not bad. But on 'Perfect Lover', and especially on 'Fight Fire With Fire', this 1980s sound becomes far too pop'ish, and it seems disappointing that these songs have been chosen for a so-called 'Best Of' album.
So all in all, 'The Best Of Kansas' is a compilation album with ups and with downs. Seen from a chronological and musically developmental point of view, the album does provide a good way of getting to know Kansas. But seen from a pure quality point of view, the ten songs are not the ten best ones, and my guess is that any admirer of Kansas will confirm this.
Taste differs, but what Kansas is all about, what Kansas is known and respected for, is their style from the 1970s rather than the 1980s development.
on 16 March 2009
Bought this cd primarily because I liked 1st track Carry On my Wayward Son which I heard when watching Supernatural tv series. Never heard of Kansas before then and had to look lyrics up on internet to see who the artist was. Dust in the Wind is excellent as is Hold On, and quite liked track 9 whose title escapes me right at this moment. Rest of it wasn't really my taste but 4 great songs out of 10 isn't bad for a cheap cd. I would say it is fairly typical 80s american rock music but not bad for all that - anyway, I enjoy singing along.
on 12 August 2016
I got this on the strength of Dust in the Wind and Point of Know Return (thanks to SongPop). The other tracks on offer are musically interesting in places but, to me, are let down by some clichéd AOR vocals and uninspiring lyrics (I think they must have borrowed John Wetton's rhyming dictionary on some songs). At best it sounds like Yes if they replaced Jon Anderson with the lead singer of Toto after Going for the One, at its worst the songs are akin to fillers on a (post-Alpha) Asia album or rejected tracks for the Rocky III soundtrack album. Disappointing but I got the two songs I wanted.
on 16 September 2010
On a classic 1970's rock fix at the moment and to make things a little more interesting I'm staying away from old favourites and instead I'm trying to broaden my exposure to the bands of the heyday of classic Rock: The 1970's.

I bought the 'Very Best of Kansas' for two reasons. Firstly to my mind 'Carry on My Wayward Son' is one of the greatest rock songs of all time and secondly the price was right.

The CD's plus points are that it contains the full version of 'Carry on My Wayward Son' and other well known classic tracks such as 'Point of No Return' & 'Dust In The Wind' but overall I found the rest of the tracks not to my taste. As They were a strange combination of Genesis like Prog Rock and Corporate friendly 80's Arena Rock.

BG's Verdict: I'd recommend to every self respecting rock fan that they should have 'Carry On My Wayward Son' and 'Dust In The Wind' in their collection but perhaps not in this Very Best of Package.

Not a full blown Bargain!