Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 March 2008
Many people say that the composers on this album would turn in their graves if they knew their songs had been sung this way. I disagree, surely they would turn in their graves at the thought that only a certain style of classical singer could sing their songs. Striesand's no dumpling, as with her choice of film roles she knows not to do things she can't. She brings her own style to these carefully chosen classics and the results are beautiful. Each song is warm and soothing and a delight for anyone's ears, classical or not.
As far as I know, this is the only LP/CD Barbra Streisand made singing classical songs rather than her usual popular repertoire. The playing time is a bit short as there are only 10 tracks - but what tracks! The songs she sings are from the 18th to the 20th century. The earliest are two songs by Handel; there is one of Robert Schumann's best known songs, Mondnacht; the even better known Pavane and Après un rȇve by Gabriel Fauré; the Berceuse from Joseph Canteloube's Songs of the Auvergne; Claude Debussy's Beau soir; Hugo Wolf's Verschwiegene Liebe; and In Trutina from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. The Wolf and Schumann have a piano accompaniment by Claus Ogerman who directs the Columbia Symphony Orchestra on the remaining songs. This delightful selection concludes with a song by Ogerman himself - I loved you. The tracks were recorded in 1973.

Blue Skies
on 27 February 2013
As if she had done it for years ... she masterly sings this compilation of lieder just in her own special way, makes them her own but
keeps the spirit and meaning of the songs. One if not the best crossover I know. Thank you Barbra Streisand. Now with two bonus tracks from the original sessions.
Very good booklet plus an all over elegantly designed package. Very rare nowadays.
on 22 September 2007
My first thoughts were: the audacity of the woman! A cabaret singer turning her mike towards the world of the classics!

However, on a few listens I was enchanted. Undoubtedly, Streisand has the rarest of voices: beautiful vibrato, open throat and the clearest of tones. Her interpretation of these lieder are her own. Rubato is laid on with a trowel, portamento poured over with a free hand.

My bone of contention is the choice of lieder; they are simply too diverse. On the one hand we have French chansons like Debussy's "Beau Soir" and Faure's "Pavane" and "Apres un Reve". On the other hand we have german lieder such as Wolf's "Verschwiegener Lieben" and schumann's "Mondnacht". Beautiful choices, but they don't mix well, particularly when it has been decided to orchestrate the original piano accompaniment to some, but not others. On the third hand (if you like), we have some Handel: "Lascia Ch'io Pianga" and "Dank Sei Dir, Herr". These commit yet a third style to the mix. And finally, Ogerman's "I Loved You", which just sticks out like a sore thumb.

In summing up: a lovely album, but a little too fragmented.
99 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 February 2002
When you first listen to it, you think yeah not bad but then you have it on in the back ground you semi-consuly start to feel the power and amazement of this artist called streisand.This album just proves how she can sing anything and sing anything brilliantly!!!
on 29 November 2012
Finally I got this record and was not disappointed......Streisand has a wonderful voice.....and it is put to good use here.
on 16 February 2016
To me, this album demonstrates beyond doubt that Barbra Streisand can cross over into classical singing and still maintain the beauty and quality of her highly individual voice. Her breath control and legato singing are superb, albeit with a slightly nasal intonation at times, but that's Barbra! The only song I am not quite so keen on it Auf dem Wasser zu Singen, a late addition to the original album, sung too fast and pitched too low for her, in my opinion. She has the range to sing it far closer to the original pitch and it would sound better. My favourite tracks are the Faure 'Pavane' and Debussy's 'Beau Soir', a song that I find extremely moving for the sheer beauty of her singing. It is wonderfully refreshing to hear these songs sung without fussy over-interpretation, just simple, direct and straight to the heart.
on 15 October 2016
I remember hearing this album in 1985 @ a friend's house, somehow it always got played on a Sunday morning (after a boozy Saturday night). As for me personally - back then I was a rocker & listened to a lot of Metal & Punk 🎸 Death & Grunge music 🎸. This album also took me to another world of music 🎼🎻♩🎺🎹🎵 & slowly but surely, I started listening to Classical music 👍. I went & bought this album (on vinyl) & only just now - 2016 😃 i've bought it on C.D. 👌.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 January 2012
I love BS her musical ideas and magnificent voice, vocal range, and of course vocal gymnastics. This album was recorded when she was at the peak of her magnificent vocal ability, so I had very high hopes for this album.

However, for me personally, it just doesn't work as well as I’d expected. While there is indeed a sweetness to her voice, for me, there is no flow from her with these songs. Her voice seems almost constrained by the style and language of these classic songs. A legendary great artist, but I don’t feel that it’s one of her best albums or concepts. Sorry Barbra.
on 21 October 2015
Package arrived very quickly along with the free download on android. Nice new tracks that were not on the original LP and a helpful catalogue of track text. The usual efficiency of amazon and basic packaging proved a great plus for this product. I do love Barbra! What a pity classical singing doesn't pay more for she could have been a real diva in opera.