Customer reviews

Great listening.
on 24 July 2017
Greeeat
on 24 November 2010
What a fantastic album. Even with all the other Dinah tracks I have this compilation of her work is outstanding, all the classic tracks and her 'bounciest' performances.
Whether a die hard fan or just looking for a good introduction to either Dinah or the genre this is a winner, guaranteed to have you singing out loud-even the kids know the words in our house!
on 21 March 2013
Aware that Dinah Washington had been recording for many years my choice of compilation was determined by a love of September in the Rain and a desire to acquire other tracks of that vintage, 1961. It's all about the voice and arrangements from this period. I think that this is it although would need to look further than the inlay which is sadly lacking in detail.

However, Mad about the Boy, What a Difference a Day Made and A Rocking Good Way, which must all be from around the same time, along with September in the Rain, are worth the price of purchase alone.
on 5 March 2013
Very soothing music makes me chill out and relax.
Lovely romantic voice.
Good music and vocals.
Lovely words and orchestral.
on 6 January 2012
This great little compilation is missing some great songs. Sadly this cd lacks All Of Me by Dinah Washington - the Queen of Jazz.
Cry Me a River is spectacular. 'This bitter Earth', and 'Every time we say goodbye' are classic Dinah Washington.

'Is you is or is You aint my Baby' is missing from this CD. I heard it years ago on vinyl.
Vacuum tubes and vinyl.

"A man is a creature that has always been strange. Just when you're sure of one, you'll find he's gone and made a change..." Truer words have never been spoken
on 22 April 2013
Dinah Washington is one of the all time greats and this is a top class compilation of some of her classics. Buy it now
on 4 February 2016
For several years now I’ve been trying to find an American female vocalist, singing ‘The Great American Songbook,’ that really knocks me out. A voice as good and as powerful as say our Shirley Bassey, a voice that makes you sit up and really listen.
I’ve got plenty of Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Susan Vaughan and Julie London.
All are all lovely to listen to of course, but I yearned for a voice with a bit more growl, oomph, and a voice that would rattle your eardrums a bit more, I wanted an Etta James does the ‘GAS’ if you like.
The minute I heard the first track on here I knew that I had found her! I instantly ordered another of her albums.
Dinah, like so many singers, died very young, at the age of 39! She left a very telling legacy in that period. She had 10 top 30 hits in the US, (most are on here), and was unbelievably successful in the US R&B charts, where she had 5 number ones. In the UK charts she was less well known, with just two top 50 successes.